Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fate: Chapter 11


"There is one friend in the life of each of us who seems not a separate person, however dear and beloved, but an expansion, an interpretation, of one's self, the very meaning of one's soul."
-Edith Wharton

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight.

An: Thank you to Buff82 for beta'ing, she is always there for me when I need her. <3

Chapter 11: The Truth About Lies

JPOV

Bella was due to arrive at the house any minute; we'd made plans to spend the day together—like old times. I'd already pulled both our bikes out, making sure they were ready to go, and then double checked when I couldn't remember if I'd already filled up the gas tanks or not. We hadn't been riding in a couple months, and I had yet to have any time with Bella to myself since she'd returned to Forks for the summer; I couldn't help the excitement bubbling inside. I hadn't allowed myself to think about missing one on one time with her, but the electric current buzzing through me was making me realize just how much I had.

Things had transitioned smoothly between Bella and I, our prior feelings for one another were easily set aside once she'd made her to decision to be with Quil. I couldn't fault her for it; even I had agreed that they made a great couple. He treated her exactly the way she should be treated, and I could see that she was genuinely happy. If it had been anyone else, I probably would've stepped in long ago, but thankfully, that didn't happen.

Or so I thought. At that moment, I wasn't so sure anymore. Quil's behavior starting the night of the bonfire had been odd. He ran off at his own party, leaving his girlfriend alone and confused. I mean, it was a party for Embry and me as well, but I knew what was supposed to happen that night—the plans that Quil had spent six entire months preparing for.

And then he fucking left, not proposing, no explanation—nothing.

I couldn't follow him; Bella had needed me, someone to stay by her side when he was not. Sam had told me he was running a patrol even though I clearly knew it was a lie, but I didn't push him to tell me, never questioned what was really going on. It wasn't until a few days later when Bella came to me with that outrageous idea of Quil cheating on her that I finally snapped.

The anger that had surged through me at her words surprised me. I, of all people, should know if Quil was cheating or not. We were mind linked, unable to keep our thoughts blocked from one another—only Sam had managed to learn that task. Just the idea of someone—anyone—possibly cheating on Bella; hurting her in such a brash, selfish, and careless way—I was incised. So, I reigned in the brewing storm inside me and told Bella that she was wrong.

Her eyes told me she knew I was hiding something, that I was possibly unsure of my words. When, in fact, I was trying desperately not to run all over the place looking for Quil just so I could bash his head in as painfully as possible.

So, in the end, it didn't matter that I was most likely overreacting. It didn't matter that Quil was most likely innocent. I was out for blood, and I was going to make him pay. I marched out the back door, muttering about a pack meeting so that hopefully I could keep Bella from worrying—a futile attempt I knew—and I headed straight for Sam's house, knowing it was the best place to start looking.

And I had found him, getting in his face and calling him out. The minute I said the words and saw the look on his face, I knew I had been wrong. But the rage boiling inside me was begging to be released, and I ignored my better instincts to shut the hell up and let it go. It wasn't until Sam ordered me to leave and go home that I finally settled down, the red haze that had overtaken my vision settling and snapping me back to reality.

I went back home, tried to forget, and was looking forward to a nice meal cooked by Bella; I always enjoyed her meals the most. Unfortunately, eating didn't happen quite like I had hoped. Instead, my father, Charlie, and I got to witness, first hand, a fight of epic proportions go down between Quil and Bella.

I had stared, wide eyed, mouth agape, as she stormed off after essentially breaking up with him, and then I watched him follow, not bothering to slow down to a more natural speed in his haste to leave. But it wasn't even that day that was now bothering me most. It was the days that followed, or rather, the last two weeks.

Bella returned the day after the failure of a dinner and apologized, she explained that she and Quil had made up and that they had talked things out. It seemed that they had gotten over whatever it was that was going on, and things had gone back to… normal. Maybe I was the only that was convinced something was still very, very wrong.

Call it intuition, call it a gut feeling, but I knew there was something going on, something bad. I had no plans to share that particular piece of information with Bella, instead choosing to keep it to myself, but I would keep my eyes open and ready.

The cracking of gravel under tires alerted me of Bella's arrival, her mammoth truck parked out front of the house. A wide grin spread across my face at the sight of her, I'd truly missed spending time with my best friend. It was understandable that she'd spend most of her time with Quil, but I liked having her all to myself on occasion; it reminded me of the old days, before I knew that werewolves and vampires really existed.

Things were much simpler then.

"Bella," I called out, opening her door for her before she realized I was there. She smiled at me, throwing her arms around my neck as I pulled her from the cab and swung her around. It was something of a traditional greeting for us when we'd get together like this, another reminder the 'before' days.

"Jacob!" She screamed from surprise, but was laughing by the time I set her back on her feet.

Placing Bella safely back on the ground, I couldn't help but notice the slight tingle the contact had left on my palms. Pushing the thought to the back of my mind, I smiled down at her, nudging her with my shoulder, "So Shorty, you're sure you can remember how to ride one of these things?"

Rolling her eyes, she bit her bottom lip and elbowed my ribs. I grabbed the spot, barely feeling her boney elbow poke me, but feigning pain and doubling at the waist. "Please, Jake, I could run circles around you on one of those things," she laughed, jutting her chin proudly in the air.

"Pssh, I'd love to see you try," I teased, knowing full well that there was no way she possible could.

I led Bella around the side of the house, back to the make-shift garage that had played a significant role in our high school years. It was where we had put together our motorcycles, piece by piece, side by side, and it was where I continued to store them. It wasn't like Bella could keep them at her house, what with Charlie and everything, he'd likely have a heart attack if he saw his little girl on the back of a motorbike.

Bella immediately went for her bike, running her hand across the handles, stroking the seat in an almost affectionate way. "Oh, how I've missed you," she crooned, practically hugging the hunk of metal as she continued to talk to it.

"Should I give you two some privacy?" I asked, grinning in amusement. Her head shot up, and she glared at me, causing me to throw my head back and laugh. She might have been attempting to look like a deadly mountain lion, but she merely came off as a wounded kitten.

"Oh, bite me, Jacob," she snapped.

I froze, my jaw hanging slack, and I saw Bella's eyes suddenly go wide as realization dawned on her. "I… uh…," she stuttered, unable to find the words. We stared at each other, and then both of us were laughing, tears appearing at the corner of our eyes.

"How about we just get these bikes out of here, and we can go see about those circles you're supposed to ride around me instead?"

She nodded, and I followed her out of the garage and towards the trail that ran behind the house. "Is Billy home?" she asked, glancing over at the house and then at me.

Shaking my head, I just grinned. "Nope, he's at some elder meeting or something, we've got the place to ourselves for the day." Bella's returning smile sent a rush of flurried butterflies through me, catching me off guard. I had to look away in that moment, swallowing back the lump that had formed in my throat. What the fuck was that?

The roar of an engine snapped me back to attention, and I realized Bella had already mounted her bike and was speeding off down the small dirt path. Not to be outdone, I quickly threw my leg over my own bike and started off in the same direction.

I watched her hair whipping behind her, waving in the wind, her laughter floating back to me as I pressed down on the pedal to catch up with her. It wasn't due to rain until the afternoon, so we'd have a couple hours before we'd have to go in.

We spent that time chasing each other, taking turns being in the lead as we turned down one path and then another. I marveled at how well Bella was able to handle her bike after two years of practice; we hadn't had a trip to the ER in over a year. I was right, however, when I said she wouldn't be able to outride me, not that I was surprised.

It wasn't until my stomach began growling, reminding me that I'd yet to have lunch, that I finally asked Bella if we could stop and get something to eat. It was as if it were a sign, because just then, the skies opened up and a downpour of rain was unleashed upon us.

"Shit, let's hurry," I called over my shoulder, signaling for Bella to take her bike back to the garage before we were completely soaked. Her girlish squeals made me smile, and by the time we settled the bikes back into their resting place, we were both giggling like children. The rain hadn't been forgiving, nor had we been quick enough—we were drenched.

"Come on," Bella coaxed, grabbing my hand and leading me out the door, running towards my house, the mud splashing up behind her. At that moment I'd never been more grateful to be wearing shoes. I was not in the mood to be cleaning mud off my bare feet; something I had grown used to during my times of phasing.

We both crashed through the front door, sopping wet messes, our clothes dripping on the wooden floor. I was feeling more relaxed than I had all day, forgetting all my worries and anxieties in the presence of my best friend. "Oh, Bella," I grinned mischievously at her, slowly stalking forward.

Her eyes widened, and she began to take slow steps backwards, further into the house. "Jake, wait," she put her hands up in surrender. "Let's talk about this."

"Nope," I popped the 'p' and continued advancing on her like a wolf to its prey. We were dripping water all over my Dad's floor, but I couldn't bring myself to care; we were having fun. "I think I see a dry spot," I told her, pointing to a various point on her body.

Bella shook her head frantically. "I'm completely soaked, I promise."

I took off then, grinning manically, and I caught up to her half way down the hall, grabbing her by the waist and flinging my head side to side so all the water landed on her. Her screams only encouraged me, and I only released her when I felt that I'd gotten her good enough.

"Jake, you're such a dog," she complained, wiping water droplets from her face with the back of her hand.

I shrugged, "I know, you've told me plenty of times." Bella rolled her eyes.

"Doesn't mean you have to act like one all the time, but listen, I need out of the clothes, it's kind of cold," she said to me, eyeing me expectantly.

I walked past her and into my room, digging around until I found some old sweats that I knew she'd borrowed once before. "Here, you can wear these and we'll throw your clothes in the dryer," I suggested, then grabbed clothes for myself and began walking towards the bathroom.

"Hey, Bella?" I paused, turning to eye Bella who was standing in the doorway to my room. "Make sure you knock first if you want in here, wouldn't want a repeat peep show occurring." She flushed red, and I chuckled to myself, glad to have teased her a bit.

A muted 'asshole' sounded just as I clicked the door shut. I quickly removed my wet clothes, tossing them into the tub with a loud thud, and then pulled on the sweats and t-shirt I'd grabbed from my room. Bella was still changing when I emerged from the bathroom, so I grabbed a towel and began mopping up the water that trailed from the entryway to the end of the hall. We'd made a much larger mess than I'd originally thought.

Bella tossed her clothes into our dryer and joined me just as I finished. We heated up some frozen pizzas and ate in the living room, discussing our plans for the fall. There was eventually a lull in the conversation, and I finally worked up the courage to ask the one question I'd been wanting to.

"How are things… between you and Quil," I asked hesitantly, glancing at her from the corner of my eye. Her face scrunched up in concentration, a wistful smile upon her lips.

"Things have been going really great actually, almost perfect," she explained between bites of pizza. "I mean, he was a little tense last Friday before we went over to Sam's for movie night, but after we got there he seemed fine, so I guess it was nothing."

I remembered that night, I'd seen Quil and Sam walk off outside to talk for a few minutes before returning inside with the rest of us. It wasn't odd Sam to speak privately with us from time to time, but, once again, that strange feeling had spread inside of me when I saw them.

Nodding, I set my plate aside, having already finished off my food. "I'm sure it wasn't anything, maybe he just wasn't looking forward to an evening being subjected to Leah's cheery personality," I joked. She reached out a lightly smacked my arm.

"Hey, ease up on her, she's been through a lot," she chastised, and I agreed with a quick, "sure, sure".

Bella stood up suddenly, grabbing both our plates and taking them into the kitchen. "I think Billy's supposed to be gone for a while longer. You want to watch a movie or something?" I asked, walking in behind her.

"Actually, I've got to get going. I promised Angela I'd go furniture shopping with her for our new apartment. We've been trying to get together for a couple weeks now."

A pang of disappointment shot through me, but I understood. "Okay, rain check then," I laughed at my joke, and Bella smiled. She changed back into her now-dry clothes, and I walked her out to her truck since the rain had subsided to a slight drizzle. "See you Friday night at Sam's," I told her, holding open the driver side door for her.

"Sure, sure." We both smiled at her use of my favorite phrase. I shut the door and then watched as she slowly backed out of the driveway, her hand waving back at me before she disappeared down the road.

The house suddenly felt extremely empty without Bella's presence, and I didn't much feel like going back inside. Embry and Leah were running patrols for the day, and I wasn't scheduled to much later that night. Figuring I'd see if my Dad needed a ride home from his meeting, I decided to walk over the Tribe Counsel building. I would have run, but it was always risky in the daytime, and that particular building wasn't close enough to the woods, instead located more in the center of La Push.

It was a rather small structure, only one large room that was sometimes used for banquets and such, and then a second room that was used for Elder meetings. Quil, Sr. was visiting, so I assumed that they decided a meeting was necessary.

Quietly opening the door, I slipped inside, letting it fall closed with a soft click behind me; I didn't want to disturb them if they were in the middle of an important discussion or anything. The main room in front was empty, as I expected it to be, so I headed across the open space to the door located in the back right corner.

It was slightly ajar, and I could hear my father and Quil Sr.'s voices coming through the small opening. Just as I was about to push the door open, another voice spoke, stopping me dead in my tracks.

"What about Bella?" Quil shouted, and I heard the sounds of a chair being knocked over. "I love her, I won't just leave her." What the hell?

I had no idea what was going on, but I didn't like the sound of it. Quil's words were making my curiosity peak and my temper flare. It was wrong, I knew it, but I couldn't help but stay hidden and continue to listen to the conversation going on between Quil and each of the Elders.

"What about Claire?" My father asked, causing my brow to crinkle in confusion. Who's Claire? His voice never wavered from its steady tone, even when you could verbally hear Quil's obvious distress. "What happens to her if you fight this, if you choose Bella?"

The scuffing sound of metal being dragged across the floor echoed through the room, and I assumed that Quil had righted his chair. "I don't know," he sounded small, defeated.

My hand began to tingle, and I realized I had been gripping the door knob tight enough to leave impressions from my fingers; I quickly released it from my grasp. My anger at hearing Quil speak about another girl, about having to 'chose' Bella brought back the memories of Bella in my kitchen, her face panicked and broken - asking me if her boyfriend was cheating on her.

Bella had assured me that was not the case, but as I listened to him speak, I was no longer sure. It was his next words, however, that brought the anger boiling up to the surface, ready to burst from me at any moment.

"She's going to hate me," Quil paused, "but she deserves to know about Claire. I'll tell her."

I knew I had to get out of there, if I didn't I would surly do something I'd regret. Instead, I waited outside, pacing desperately back and forth. Thoughts were racing through my head at an alarming rate, Quil was cheating on Bella. Quil with some girl named Claire. But why would he need the Elders?

Growling, I punched the nearest tree, just wanting to vent out some of the emotions coursing through my body. It splintered a bit under the force, but remained upright, for which I was grateful, given that it would've been hard to explain how I knocked down a tree with only my fist.

Finally, not only five minutes later, they emerged from the building. Each of the other men, aside from Sue who had taken her husband's place on the council, eyed me wearily as the left. Even my father was watching me carefully, and it was then that I realized I was shaking.

Quil stepped out last, eyes immediately locking on me, the rage I felt evident in my glare. His eyes widened in alarm, but he continued down the steps. "Jake…," he questioned, stopping a few feet from where I stood. It was probably for the best, I wasn't sure how in control I was at that moment.

"Who, the fuck, is Claire," I spat, not bothering to hold back my distaste for what he'd done.

I saw the panic flash in his eyes, though his demeanor remained calm. "Emily's niece," he answered casually, his nonchalant attitude pissing me off further.

"Not the kid, the girl you're obviously fucking around on Bella with!"

His expression finally broke, changing to one of utter disbelief. "What the hell are you talking about?"

My fists were clenched at my sides, shaking furiously as I screamed at him, "I HEARD YOU! So, I will ask you one more time. Who. Is. Claire."

It didn't matter what response I thought I'd hear, nor did it matter that Quil had been my best friend since we were four, the minute he spoke, I lost all sense of reason. I was no longer thinking, no longer feeling—red clouded my vision, and I lunged at him, my body phasing midair. His three words were like a siren in my head, screaming at me, and I couldn't escape.

"She's my imprint."

No comments:

Post a Comment