Monday, August 16, 2010

Fate: Chapter 3



"Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."
- Robert Heinlein

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight.

An: Thank you Buff82 for beta'ing, as always.

Chapter 3: Unexpected Issues

"Oh my God, you should have seen him," I laughed, attempting to tell the pack the story of Quil getting 'stuck' under the bed as we sat around Emily and Sam's living room that Friday night. "I woke up to this loud thud and then my door swung open and Charlie stepped in. I had no idea where Quil had gone, but once Charlie left I couldn't find him anywhere," I paused to catch my breath as giggles forced their way up my throat, "and all I hear is his muffled voice calling my name. I look around and that's when I see him, contorted and half under the bed—completely stuck."

Quil scoffed, "I was NOT stuck. You just didn't want me to break your bed so you wouldn't let me try to get out from under it."

"That is true, but you couldn't have gotten the leverage to lift the frame up anyway. I watched you try."

"So how'd you end up getting out?" Seth asked from his seat on the floor.

"I had to come over and help his sorry ass," Jake snickered from across the room.

The rest of the guys joined in the laughter before Seth looked over at Jake. "This I have to see."

I watched as Jake smiled broadly, getting up to walk outside while Seth followed closely behind. I could only assume that they were going outside so they could phase and Jake could 'show' him what happened.

"I'm gotta see this too." With that Embry darted out the door after them.

Quil groaned and I nestled further into his lap, trying to get as close to him as possible. "You do know the guys are never gonna let me live this down?" he pouted quietly in my ear.

I couldn't help but giggle once again. "I know baby, but it'll be alright."

We were all gathered around Sam and Emily's for our weekly Friday night movie night. It was something that had started the summer after I graduated from High School as a way for us all to hang out and spend time together.

I would join them on my weekend's home and Quil would keep me updated on the happenings for the weeks I was absent. More often than not the updates would include a variety of pranks from either Embry or Seth.

Our most memorable movie night to date was the one where Jake's sister, Rachel, came home to visit about a year ago. She joined us for the evening and Paul of all people had to go and imprint on her. I swear, I don't think I'd ever seen Jake look so pissed in all the years I'd known him.

It was the one rare moment where I'd actually been a little terrified of him as I watched his entire body vibrate in anger. Quil had protectively pushed me behind him while Sam and Jared each grabbed an arm and dragged poor Jacob outside to cool down.

Once all was said and done and Rachel had been explained the truth of the tribe's legends we were all quite amused because she wouldn't even give Paul the time of day. While it was assumed that imprintees would automatically be attracted to the one that imprints on them, we realized that was not the case. Apparently Paul's reputation as a 'bad ass' had made its way around, leaving Rachel unwilling to accept his advances.

We watched for three months as he worked his ass off in order to gain her interest and then another two winning her over. But, on the other hand, those months also gave Jacob time to accept the fate of his sister's life as a pack girl and to understand he could do nothing to change it.

Tonight was all about celebrating the end of finals for Quil, Embry, and Jacob. The three boys would walk across stage the following day, receive their diplomas, and finally be considered High School graduates.

"I love you," Quil's soft, seductive voice crooned to me. "I can't believe I've got you all to myself for two whole months. I hate it when you have to go back to school." His arms squeezed tighter around my waist.

"Mmm… I know. I miss you so much. I wish you could be going to school with me in the fall." I knew it wasn't possible; Quil had his pack duties and his loyalties to the tribe. There was no way he'd be able to go to school two hours away.

The boys had been talking about opening their own auto repair shop and perhaps taking some classes online so they could earn a business degree in order to run the shop themselves. For all their sakes I hoped they'd achieve their dream; while the pack was a number one priority, they also each needed a life outside of it.

"I know," he told me solemnly.

"It's ok, I know why you can't. You should be here anyway, this is where you belong," I reassured him and then leaned forward to press my lips against his for a quick, loving kiss.

"Get a room!" Embry shouted at us, the front door slamming shut as Jacob and Seth walked in behind him.

Quil growled and threw the nearest pillow at Embry who caught it before it could hit him. "A pillow, seriously?" he taunted, smiling broadly.

"Shut up jackass, it's all I had."

Embry, Jake, and Seth reassumed their previous seats and Emily stood to pop in the movie of choice for the night. I snuggled impossibly closer to Quil, relishing in his warmth and unwilling to be even an inch away from his body. His body tensed as I did so, but relaxed almost immediately so I ignored it.

He had been so busy with finals, the end of school, and patrols that by the time he'd sneak into my room at night he was so tired he'd instantly fall asleep. Unfortunately that left no time for other things.

We watched the small television screen while curled up close together. I could feel sleep wanting to claim me several times, but I made sure to keep myself awake—I was hopeful that now that Quil was done with school and off of patrols for the evening that perhaps we could spend some much needed time together.

"Are you staying over tonight?" I asked him as we both stood to stretch our muscles once the movie was over. It was pretty much a formality to ask because there was no real reason he wouldn't stay over, but I asked none the less.

"Do you want me to stay over?" I glanced up to see him eyeing me with an expression I didn't understand.

"Of course, why wouldn't I?"

He shrugged, "No reason."

I grabbed my jacket from by the door, still wondering what could have made Quil ask me that question. I always wanted him to stay over. There hadn't been a time while I was home where he hadn't in the last two years.

We sat in silence on the ride back to my house. It wasn't uncomfortable, but I could sense that something was bothering him and therefore stayed quiet while he worked through whatever it was.

Charlie was already asleep when I entered; Quil had opted to climb through my bedroom window and wait for me as opposed to risking being caught downstairs if Charlie should wake. I didn't blame him—my father did own a gun after all.

Quil was already sprawled across my bed, eyes closed, waiting for me. I smiled and took a moment to watch him; he looked so peaceful lying there. It wasn't often anymore that he had time to relax so it was comforting to see.

"You coming to bed or are you just going to stand there?" He opened one eye and looked over at me hovering in the doorway.

"I love you," I blurted out instinctively because even though I told him daily, I felt as if it needed to be said at that moment. He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes.

I looked at him questioningly while shutting the door and walking further into the room. "Baby, what's wrong?"

He sighed and rubbed the heels of his hands into his eyes. "Do you ever think that I'm holding you back?"

His voice was quiet and strained, as if he didn't honestly want to know the answer but asked anyway. What I could see of his expression seemed pained which concerned me and made my heart rate increase in anxiety.

Not only that, but the question caught me off guard, making it take a moment for me to form a response. "Never," I answered him honestly as I sat on the bed next to him.

He threw both hands down on either side of his body in frustration, causing me to jump slightly. "Bella, seriously, I can't ever leave the reservation. I'm bound to the pack and you…" he paused and took a deep breath, "you're going places. I don't want you to ever regret staying here to be with me."

My mind was reeling, how could he think that I'd ever regret being with him?

"Where is this coming from?" I had to ask because Quil had never mentioned the issue before. Perhaps he was nervous about his graduation ceremony the following day or the stress of the week had gotten to him.

"I'm being realistic. You can't tell me that in five or ten years that you're not going to regret having stayed in La Push instead of going off to Seattle or something to become a famous writer or whatever equally fantastic thing I know you're going to do."

Suddenly I was angry, very angry. "What the hell?" I shouted before remembering Charlie was asleep in the next room and quieted myself down to an angry whisper. "You don't get to tell me how I'm going to feel! Because quite frankly, I will never regret spending my life with someone I love so much." Quil's eyes widened at my sudden outburst and I could see the conflicting emotions flitting through them.

"I love you," my voice was fierce and determined; I wanted to make him understand just how much I meant every word. "I want you, no one else, so don't even try to push me away." He sighed in defeat and nodded silently.

"I love you too," he murmured before reaching out to pull me down against him. I leaned up to kiss him hard on the mouth, pouring all my emotions into it. His lips pushed against mine, returning the kiss with equal fervor.

I hitched my leg over his hip as his arms wrapped tighter around my waist, shifting myself closer until we were flush against one another. The movement caused me to brush against him and we both moaned at the sensation.

"I need you," I whispered through panted breaths, "Let me show you how much I love you."

We were a frenzy of hands as we each attempted to peel off our clothes as quickly as possible. He'd heard how much I wanted him, how much I wanted to be with him, but I needed to physically show him so he'd never be left wondering again.

I loved every inch of his body—kissing, nipping, and licking my way over his silken skin. And when we finally joined as one, we made love slowly and passionately. We were promising a life time to one another; there was no need to rush.

We both fell asleep curled up together with his arm around my waist and his face pressed into my hair. It was like coming home, my body was at full peace with Quil's wrapped around me. It was just more affirmation in my mind that he was what I wanted, what I needed—always.

No comments:

Post a Comment