Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Torn: Chapter 15


When Jacob ignores Bella in New Moon she develops a friendship with Quil. They become close and then he too makes the change into a werewolf. What will happen in this Quil/Bella/Jacob triangle?
Title: Torn

Rating: T

Penname: Katbug86

Characters: Bella & Quil Jr.

Disclaimer: We get the point…no ownership here.

Chapter 15: The Bonfire


The following morning when I arrived at school it was raining as usual. I had forgotten my umbrella, again, and the unrelenting downpour soaked me as I made half ran, half walked across the parking lot and into building four for first period English. Angela waved from her seat in the back as I made my entrance into the classroom.

She smiled as I slid my backpack off my shoulder and slumped into the desk beside her, water dripping from my hair onto the floor. "Hey," I grunted as I slipped out of the drenched jacket, placing it on the back of my chair.

"One of those days?" she responded apologetically. I merely nodded and returned my attention to the front of the classroom as our teacher began the lesson for the day. She was giving a lecture about our current reading assignment, which of course I had already finished, but continued to take notes and listen anyway. English was by far my favorite subject.

The morning had not been a good one. My alarm didn't go off causing me to wake up twenty minutes late. Then I tripped going down the stairs, probably bruising my knees when I landed on the floor, followed by stubbing my toe on the leg to the kitchen table.

To top it all off I spilled the milk while pouring it into my cereal and as a result, had to change my shirt. It was definitely one of those days. The type of day where you just wish you could crawl back in bed and start over. Thank goodness Charlie was already gone for work when I got up and did not have to witness my inevitable misfortunes.

The bell rang suddenly, alerting me class was over. "See you at lunch?" Angela asked as she got up to leave.

"Yeah," I agreed as I gathered my notes, stuffing them into my backpack. Slipping back into my coat, I grabbed my bag and headed for second period history.

I thought my luck had started to turn around seeing as second and third period went by without issue, but I should have known better. As I closed my locker door, having put my things away to head for lunch, I spotted Mike Newton waiting for me. It was like Murphy's Law- if something can go wrong, it will go wrong.

I internally groaned as he approached me with his baby-faced smile. "Can I walk with you to lunch?" he asked casually.

"Sure." There was no reason to try and argue since he'd just follow me there anyway. Knowing what was coming, I wanted to roll my eyes at myself for not realizing sooner that Mike wasn't one to give up easily. Of course of that day of all days he would choose to make his reappearance.

"Do you have any plans for tomorrow night?" he questioned after we had taken a few steps. That's all it took for the eye roll made an appearance for knowing him oh too well. At least he didn't notice since his cheery smile was still plastered across his face.

I thought his question over, attempting to come up with a valid excuse to say no. Tomorrow…tomorrow was Friday…the bonfire! Yes! Maybe the day was looking better after all. I fought a smile as I answered.

"I'm sorry Mike, I've already got plans," I tried to let him down easy so as not to hurt his feelings. His face dropped instantly.

"Oh. What are you doing?" he questioned, trying to mask his obvious disappointment.

His question irritated me slightly even though I knew he was only curious. It was none of his business what I was doing, but I answered anyway. "I'm going to La Push to meet up with some friends. They're having a bonfire." It was the truth, even if I only really knew two of the people in attendance.

"Oh, well have fun then."

"Thanks," I replied as we arrived at the cafeteria doors.

His smile returned again all of a sudden. "Maybe we can get together some other time." He jogged away before I could respond. This time I groaned aloud and shook my head as I went to get my food. Some guys never learn. I grabbed a slice of pizza and a coke before shuffling towards my usual table and taking a seat next to Angela and Ben.

She looked my way as I sat down, "How's Quil?"

A smiled involuntarily formed on my lips at the sound of his name. "I saw him yesterday. We worked things out." It was as close to the truth as I was able to get. Quil being a werewolf didn't change the fact that I still loved him. I just hoped it didn't change how he felt about me. Which at that point I was still slightly confused about. Angela didn't need to know all that though.

"Good," she smiled happily.

She and Ben returned to their previous conversation which I jumped into on occasion, deciding to tune out the other half of our table. Mike in particular.

I considered the rest of the day a success. Biology was as boring as could be and I ended up nearly falling asleep. In gym I managed to only get hit in the head with a basketball once, which was a good day for me by any means.

Upon arriving home I decided to make Charlie something special for dinner; chicken enchiladas would do, so I set about the kitchen. He came in the door just as I was pulling the pan from the oven, setting it atop the stove and I watched as he discarded his boots next to the door after hanging his gun belt in the nearby closet.

As predicted Charlie then proceeded into the kitchen to grab a beer before taking his seat at the small, mismatched table. By now I had set out plates and silverware along with the food. He looked exhausted as he sat there taking a long swig of his drink.

I felt guilty for not spending more time with him since moving there. I had gone from spending all my free time with Edward, to being a zombie, and then spending all my time in La Push. It was hardly the behavior of being a good daughter.

After idle chatter about school and his work, which I found was the reason for his tired state as he was working multiple homicides and missing persons' cases, Charlie paused in his conversation. My brows knitted together as he stared at me a moment before speaking.

"I wanted to ask you something Bells," he started out. I simply motioned for him to continue, trying to swallow the lump in my throat over what this could possibly be about. Why did I feel so nervous? He continued, bringing me out of my potential panic attack, "Have you applied for any colleges yet?"

That was most definitely not what I thought he would ask. A whoosh of air let out from my lungs, I hadn't even realizing I had been holding my breath. "No, not yet. I don't know for sure, but I think I'd like to go somewhere close. Maybe Settle." As I said it I knew it was what I wanted.

When I was with Edward, college wasn't a viable option. He was to turn me as I had requested of him and newborn vampires weren't exactly capable of enrolling as college freshman, what with the bloodlust and all. However, that option in my life was gone and never returning. I had come to terms with this fact and therefore, enrolling somewhere nearby to continue being close to my dad seemed like the ideal choice.

"That sounds like a great idea Bells. Maybe we can tour the campus there over spring break or something."

Charlie would never say it, but I could tell how happy he was with the thought of me staying close by. The faint smile on his lips as he finished his dinner said it all. That smile alone was enough to solidify my decision. I would go to the office tomorrow to gather applications and pray that I hadn't missed any deadlines.

The following morning started off better than the previous one. I took that as a good omen and hoped my luck continued. I skipped a shower, having opted to take one last night, and instead threw on the closest pair of jeans and long sleeve shirt. Treading carefully down the stairs, I applauded myself on not falling, and continued on to the kitchen to make myself some eggs.

We ended up having a substitute teacher for English so Angela and I spent our free time discussing plans for the upcoming spring break. I informed her of my plans to tour the Washington University campus in Seattle which prompted her to tell me of her plans to attend there as well.

She decided that perhaps she could get her parents to also take her on a campus tour during break. When we revisited the discussion at lunch, Jessica and Mike both jumped in to let us know they, too, had applied there. I guess there would always be a drawback.

I was very excited for school to be over as it meant I would see Quil and Jacob again soon. That excitement died when I got home and once again had a wardrobe crisis. I wasn't sure what you were supposed to wear to a bonfire on the beach. Deciding to go for comfort I showered quickly and dressed in a clean pair of jeans and a nice sweater since it was bound to be cool with the breeze coming in off the ocean.

Once I finished getting ready I made Charlie a quick dinner, figuring they would have food at the beach. He still hadn't arrived home by the time it was finished so I left it in the oven to remain warm, wrote him a note, and grabbed my jacket on my way out.

Quil had told me to meet him at Emily and Sam's house so I attempted to remember the route to their place in La Push. Embry was coming out the front door carrying containers of food as I pulled up to the house. I stepped carefully out of the cab of my truck, shutting the door behind myself.

"Hey Bella," he greeted when he saw me approaching. "Emily could use your help inside," he said while motioning towards the house. I took his advice, watching him walk off towards to the beach before turning around to head up the steps and through the door.

Once inside I was immediately assaulted with several aromas of food. I could see Emily beyond the living area, standing at a counter top preparing what looked to be a salad. My eyes instinctively flickered around in search of either Jacob or Quil but came up empty. They were most likely with the other guys already at the bonfire.

"Do you need some help?" I offered upon entering the kitchen.

Emily spun around and gave me a large smile. "That would be great Bella. Could you take those dishes right there down to the tables by the fire?" she asked, pointing to a stack of food containers on a nearby counter.

"Sure."

Smiling in return, I situated the items in my arms and heading back out the front door. I looked off into the distance of the beach, noting a decent sized fire with several large figures surrounding it. As I got closer I could see three tables set out and already filled with an array of food selections. I was shocked by the amount there was but remembered the way Quil had eaten on Wednesday so I figured it must be a werewolf thing to have a large appetite. Jake noticed me immediately, walking over to help set out the remaining food items I was carrying.

After the last one was placed on the table he whisked me up into a bone crushing hug, twirling me around before setting me back on my feet. I giggled like a little girl through the entire thing, returning the hug with as much force I could. His grip around my waist hurt slightly, but it didn't matter; being there with Jake, like that, mattered much more.

"I'm glad you came," he whispered in my ear before releasing me and I gave him a cheeky smile to let him know I was glad I came as well.

Quil was standing off to the side, watching the exchange between Jake and me. He gave a small smile and wave before returning to his attention to Embry. Jared was sitting down next to a beautiful Quileute girl who I assumed to be Kim. They looked at one another with almost as much love as I had seen between Sam and Emily. Paul was wearing his typical scowl and standing with Sam while they finished setting up. The boys had set up logs around the fire as seats, making everything look perfect.

Jake took me around, introducing me to the guys once again. Jared said a polite 'hello' before introducing me to Kim. She seemed a little shy but nice, reminding me a little bit of Angela. Even Sam greeted me pleasantly. Emily joined the group not long after I did, telling everyone to grab a plate and dig in.

I sat on a log next to Quil with my plate in my lap while Jake took a seat on the ground next to my feet. I ate my hotdog, laughing occasionally at the guys as they joked with one another. Each of them ate at least seven hotdogs each, I swear; plus vast amounts of the other selections available. It was kind of disgusting to see if I was being completely honest.

The night was cool but not enough so that I needed my jacket. It seemed that sitting with a couple of over-heated werewolves was warm enough. Quil leaned towards me after I sat back down from throwing away my plate.

"Talk a walk with me?" he whispered.

No comments:

Post a Comment