Thursday, March 25, 2010

Torn: Chapter 2


When Jacob ignores Bella in New Moon she develops a friendship with Quil. They become close and then he too makes the change into a werewolf. What will happen in this Quil/Bella/Jacob triangle?

Title: Torn

Rating: T

Penname: Katbug86

Characters: Bella & Quil Jr.

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight!


An: Once again, thanks Buff82 for helping me to rework these chapters and make them better. You’re the best.


I’m so tired that I can’t stand

But I know that time will heal this heart, heal this heart

With every door that’s slamming shut

A new one’s there to lead me where you are, where you are

--Fireflight—‘You Gave Me a Promise’


Chapter 2: New Friend


I felt a hand rest on my shoulder, and I glanced up to see Quil looking down at me. His eyes are an onyx abyss of anguish, grief, and loss. Silent tears still slid down both our faces as I continued to bite back the sobs that were threatening to make their way up my throat. The whole situation was more than I could bare, I was still broken—not quite whole.

He dropped down beside me, his knees pressing down into the sand, and two warm, strong arms enveloped me where I sat. He was reaching out to me the same way I had just moments earlier when I grabbed a hold of his hand. There was no point in trying to fight it, and so I gave in, leaning into his embrace. It was comforting somehow; he was just as much a victim as I was.

I had lost my best friend, and Quil had lost both of his.

We sat there, holding onto one another, for what could have been minutes, an hour —I didn’t know; while I cried into his chest, and Quil did his best to comfort me. He smelled of sand and sun and something I couldn’t quite place—the mixture was both strangely appealing and calming.

He understood my loss, because it was his too. The simple fact that he trusted me enough to show his pain spoke volumes. He spoke soothing words into my ear, and rubbed calming figure eight patterns across my back with his hands.

I was resting my head against his broad chest while he kept his hold on me, his hands eventually stilling their movements. When he drew back slightly, only far enough to look me in the face, I saw his eyes that were vaguely damp with a fresh set of unshed tears.

“Thanks,” I muttered shyly, turning my head down as I blushed. I hadn’t meant to break down in front of him like that. We’d only met once before, and it wasn’t the kind of impression of myself I wanted to leave him with.

“No problem. We outsiders have to stick together,” he tried to joke, attempting to lighten the mood. It was forced, and his voice was weak, but a small smile slipped onto my lips anyway. He released his arms from around me and stood, offering his hand to help me up.

“Do you need a ride somewhere?” I found myself asking.

It was the least I could as way of thanks for letting me cry all over him. The comfort he had offered was more appreciated than he would ever know.

He looked thoughtful as he considered my offer. He shrugged, “I guess you can take me home, nowhere else to go.” The last words were barely heard, although the distain they were laced with was obvious.

Another thought flitted across my mind, not yet processed before the words were tumbling from my mouth, “Would you like to come over for dinner?” Apparently Quil’s presence evoked spontaneous kindness in me; not that I was upset by that fact.

He looked at me with surprise. “I make a mean lasagna,” I added, smiling a little for effect.

I knew what it felt like to be abandoned after He left, and I wasn’t going to let that happen to Quil. We both needed a friend, and oddly, I felt at ease in his presence.

His expression quickly brightened as he replied with a quick, “Sure,” pausing only for a second, “So long as you don’t mind anyway.”

I smiled genuinely before responding, “Definitely not, I could use the company.” My eyes locked on his, and I hoped he could see that I was being honest. I really didn’t want to be alone right then. His returning smile settled my worries.

We turned and made our way across the beach back to my truck, which was still parked in front of Jacob’s house. It was saddening as my ‘home away from home’ came into view— I was losing so much more than just my friend.

I glanced up once last time as I climbed into the cab to start the engine. Movement caught my eye, and I thought I saw the curtains sway as if someone had been watching through the window. Shaking my head, I waited for Quil to settle into the passenger seat before roaring the truck to life and pulling out of the drive.

The ride home was sat in comfortable silence. Quil was much quieter than I remembered him being previously. In Jake’s garage, the one time we had met before, he had been carefree and joking; I had thought him to be outspoken and confident.

The more time I spent near him, the more I wanted to make it my ‘mission’ to put a genuine smile on his face and restore some of his good-going nature—that part of him his so-called best friends had taken from him; whether they knew it or not.

I already felt content with being around him, and it seemed that he was content with me as well. It was like we understood one another, and that was a good basis for the prospect of any friendship.

Charlie’s cruiser was already parked out front when I pulled into the driveway; I had forgotten to tell him I was going to see Jacob.

“Is your dad going to mind me staying for dinner?” Quil asked timidly as he opened the passenger door.

“Definitely not,” I assured him, smiling to myself because I knew that Charlie would merely be happy that I was socializing, let alone bringing someone over to the house. If I was lucky, he’d probably even look past the fact it was a boy I had brought home with me.

Quil still looked weary as we both removed ourselves from the truck, and trekked towards the front door. I opened it and allowed him to follow in behind me, the sounds of the sports channel blaring from the living room where I knew I would find Charlie.

He was anything, if not predictable.

“That you Bells?” he called out, his voice rising above the cheering fans of whatever game he had turned on.

“Yeah Dad,” I replied, rounding the corner from the hallway. As suspected, there was Charlie—sprawled out in his recliner chair, watching football, beer in hand. “Sorry
I didn’t leave a note. I went to see Jake.”

Jake’s name peaked his interest, and he turned his head away from the TV to face me.

He raised one eyebrow, “Oh, you two talking again?” The question came out as casually as possible, but I could see the hopeful glint in his eyes.

“No, not so much,” I admitted honestly, although not going into any details about what had happened. There was no need for Charlie to know, and I also didn’t want to chance another emotional melt down.

Charlie’s gaze shifted from me to the tall boy man standing in the doorway. I suddenly realized I had yet to make introductions.

“This is Quil,” I said as way of explanation, pulling him by the arm a little so he was standing next to me. “He’s one of Jake’s friends,” I tacked on, just because I knew my father loved Jacob even if I didn’t at that point in time.

“Hello, Chief Swan,” Quil tilted his head forward in greeting, his hands shoved deep in his pockets. It was kinda cute watching him act all innocent. Addressing of Charlie by his job title pleased him, I could tell. Glancing him over one last time, Chief Swan, apparently decided that Quil was harmless, and planted a pleasant smile on his face.

Charlie took a swig of his beer before speaking, “Good to meet you Quil. Any friend of Jake’s is welcome.” I noticed Quil’s smile falter for a second, but he quickly recovered himself and nodded.

“Well, we’re gonna go get dinner started,” I announced, already turning to leave the room as soon as possible. There was no doubt in my mind that the longer we were around my father, the more he would realize that something was wrong. Then the questions would start. He was good at his job after all.

“Sounds good Bells, sounds good,” Charlie’s voice trailed off as he once again became lost in the game.

I nudged Quil and motioned for him to follow me into the kitchen where I then pointed to a chair for him to sit down on while I went about opening cabinets and gathering ingredients for the lasagna. His eyes followed my movements, watching intently as I prepared our dinner.

It didn’t make me nervous or uncomfortable to have his gaze on me. Instead, it was emboldening. I both secretly and confusingly enjoyed him watching me the way he was, and my lips turned up in kind of smirk when my back was turned to him.

  ***

“Smells good,” Charlie compliment when he entered the kitchen and made his way over to the table. I was pulling the lasagna out of the oven as Quil volunteered to set plates out.

They both quickly took their seats, and I stood to serve out portions of the delicious smelling pasta. Quil and Charlie quickly engaged in easy conversations about sports and fishing; a conversation I immediately lost interest in—sports and fishing were two subjects I knew very little about.

My thoughts wandered—as much as I missed Jake, I was content with the atmosphere around the dinner table, and the idea of finding a new friend in Quil. I sat back and listened to them prattle on about this or that, only nodding my head on occasion, and adding in a word or two when necessary.

As Charlie finished up his second helping and Quil his third, I collected up the dishes and carried them over to the sink. I filled up one side with warm, soapy water and started in. It was only a few moments later that I felt Quil come up beside me and grab a dish towel while Charlie headed back into the living room.

“Thank you for dinner,” he spoke quietly, as if speaking any louder would ruin the tranquility that had settled over our evening. “You’re a great cook.”

I blushed, of course. “You’re welcome,” I responded in an equal tone.

We continued side by side, me washing and him drying, until everything was clean and put away. No other words passed between us. I continued to shut out the days’ events, refusing to let myself think of the all consuming pain that I feared would return.

“I should probably get going,” Quil finally broke our silent spell, almost sounding reluctant at having to leave. I understood—I didn’t want him to go either.

I wiped my hands on the dish towel and pushed myself off the counter. “Alright, just let me tell Charlie, and I will drive you.”

Charlie actually grinned when I told him I was taking Quil home, confirming my earlier theories that he was happy to see me social again. I let him know I would return shortly, grabbed my coat, and followed Quil out the door.

***

He directed me through La Push (I had only ever been to Jake’s), and I eventually pulled up in front of a modest, white house. “Thanks again for dinner… and for the ride,” he stated appreciatively.

“Thanks for keeping me company,” I replied genuinely.

He mouth quirked up slightly, “Same here.”

My worried lip was caught between my teeth as I contemplated whether or not to ask him the question that had been on my mind the entire drive there. Finally deciding
it was best to try, I blurted out, “So… I was wondering if you would like to hang out tomorrow?” I knew it was a bold move to ask, but I didn’t care.

He stared back at me for a moment with a shocked look on his face, his hand on the door to leave, before excitement and maybe even some hope, overtook his features.

“Sure. I’d like that.”

I exhaled a breath I didn’t realize I’d been holding, watching him as he removed himself from the cab and then waved. I waved in return, shifted the truck into reverse to back out of the drive, and started my drive back home.

Only then did I allow myself to replay the day’s events. It was a matter of seconds before I made the decision that I was not going to go back to the shell of a person I had once been. I absolutely refused to let Jake get to me like that; the same way I had allowed Him to get to me. I would show Jacob and everyone else that I was stronger. Jacob had made me stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment