Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Torn: Chapter 16


When Jacob ignores Bella in New Moon she develops a friendship with Quil. They become close and then he too makes the change into a werewolf. What will happen in this Quil/Bella/Jacob triangle?


Title: Torn

Rating: T

Penname: Katbug86

Characters: Bella & Quil Jr.

Disclaimer: Stephenie Meyer owns all!


Chatper 16: Vampire Girl


"Take a walk with me," he whispered.


I nodded and took his offered hand, allowing him to help me from my seat. Jake shot a puzzled glance my way as he watched Quil lead me from the group. I offered him a small smile over my shoulder before turning my head back around. I wasn't ready to explain Quil and my close relationship just yet. Especially since I wasn't quite sure what our relationship was exactly.

"I just wanted you to myself for a moment," he admitted once we were out of earshot. Quil and I had been playing a dance of emotions for awhile now, each time sidestepping the truth of our feelings. I still hadn't told him I loved him and with everything that had happened, I wasn't sure I would. When he held my hand that way, walking so close our sides would brush against one another, it made my heart race out of control. The butterflies in my stomach returned and I could almost swear to a permanent pink hue across my cheeks.

He could probably hear the change in my heartbeat so I did my best to calm myself down before casting him a shy grin. He returned my smile, probably noting the ever apparent blush.

His smile faded as he looked away, redirecting his gaze in front of him. "Are you enjoying yourself?" he asked, seemingly hesitant of my answer.

"Very much so. I'm glad I came," I responded truthfully. My answer caused him to visibly relax as he let out a relieved sigh.

It was nice hanging out with the guys, along with Emily and Kim. Aside from my slight discomfort with the proximity of Paul and Sam, which I was trying my hardest to overcome, I was honestly having a good time.

The guys were like overgrown children towards one another. Their antics causing boughs of laughter over dinner as they told stories of Paul's numerous 'temper tantrums' or how Embry stole Jake's clothes one day so he'd have to phase back and walk home completely naked to get a new pair of shorts.

"Bella…," he sighed, the tone of his voice instantly catching my attention. "…are you really ok with all this?"

I knew what he meant. He wanted to know if I was ok with the whole 'him being a werewolf' thing. "Are you kidding me?" I laughed. Apparently that was not the response he was expecting as he abruptly stopped walking and turned to face me.

"I dated a vampire! A freaking vampire! For six months!" I probably sounded a little crazy at this point, shouting at him while continually laughing in the process. His question was just absurd in my mind…of course I didn't care.

Apparently Quil found the humor in my outburst after his initial shock since he soon joined in the maniacal behavior. "That was a stupid question, huh? You're already used to this kind of thing." he managed to ask as our laughter subsided.

"Probably more than I should be." The light hearted mood evaporated instantly. Seriously, who gets used to being around supernatural creatures on a daily basis? Somehow I managed to without really giving a damn. To me Quil was just a boy, like Edward was just a boy. Granted both may have extraordinary abilities, one may be cold as ice while the other is hot as fire, but they are just…boys. I'd love them regardless.

We began our walking again, stopping just near our favorite spot in the sand. He still held a firm grip on my hand as we watched the waves travel along the water. The sun was almost fully set, casting the last of a beautiful array of oranges, pinks, and red across the sky.

"I never got a chance to tell you how much I enjoyed our date," I told him quietly. There was no need for hushed voices since was no one around, but it was a peaceful moment.

His hand squeezed mine slightly to get my attention. I peered up into his deep, dark eyes, enthralled by their depths that shone with something I was unfamiliar with. "Good, cause I was kinda hoping I could ask you on a second date?" he asked with a grin.

My own eyes lit up with excitement as I released his hand to wrap my arms around his waist. "I'd love to." He returned the hug, careful not to hold me too tightly, before pulling back without removing his arms from around me. He lowered his face towards mine, watching my face to make sure it was ok. I knew what he wanted so I tilted my own face upwards in anticipation and permission.

His lips brushed against mine lightly. They felt much warmer than when we shared our last kiss, but just as soft. It wasn't enough, so I pushed my mouth towards his for a firmer kiss. I missed kissing him. I had been missing this since Friday and his lips were like fire against my own. It was passionate and wonderful without ever having to deepen the connection.

He broke away much too soon for my liking, planting one last chaste kiss upon my lips before unwrapping his arms from my waist completely. I'm sure the cheesy grin once again on his face matched my own.

"We better get back to the party," he told me while taking my hand again. He sounded almost as disappointed as I felt.

Quil released my hand once we drew closer and I immediately missed the contact but understood. The guys would see from his mind what had happened, but we weren't ready to show affection in front of everyone. No one acknowledged our return. That is no one, aside from Jake.

He was scowling in Quil's direction as he went off to get a drink and talk with the guys while I sat down in my previous seat. I shot Jake a questioning look to which he immediately smiled warmly at me, ceasing his frowning face.

He moved to take Quil's spot next me and leaned in slightly before asking, "What was that about?"

I shrugged, not wanting to tell him about my feelings for Quil just yet. "Just talking." My vague answer didn't seem to appease him but he didn't press it any further.

"I think you're motorbike is starting to feel abandoned," he joked causing a little giggle to escape me.

"Is that so?" I asked in amusement.

"Yep. I think you should come by and take it out for a ride."

"How about I come over tomorrow? You and I can have the whole day together." His eyes lit up instantly. It was kinda cute listening to him trying to ask me to hang out in such a casual way. He was usually confident and straight forward, but he was acting like a timid school boy asking out the captain of the cheerleading squad. He was probably still wondering if I was secretly holding a grudge against him for breaking his promise to me.

"So Bella," I heard Embry call my name from across the dying fire, "I hear you run with vampires." He was attempting to keep the comment joking and lighthearted but the entire group went suddenly silent.

I felt Jake tense beside me. "Not anymore."

Embry continued on, ignoring the seven other people staring at him as if he were crazy for even considering such a conversation. "How can you stand the smell?" His nose wrinkled up as he said it.

"What smell?" I eyed him curiously. Edward and his family always smelled wonderful to me. I couldn't get enough of their scent.

"It's too sweet, burns my nose," he commented.

I laughed at the still wrinkled expression on his face. The idea of the Cullen's smelling bad was ridiculously funny. Jake relaxed beside me and I could hear Emily snickering from somewhere behind me.

"They smell just fine to me," I finally responded.

"Can I call you Vampire Girl?" he asked enthusiastically, practically jumping around in his seat.

"NO!" Quil and Jake yelled at the same time, halting Embry's excitement immediately.

I snickered at their over protective behavior. "I'd prefer that you didn't. That part of my life is over." I missed the Cullen's but they left and I couldn't do anything about it except move on with my life.

"That's good to hear." I turned my attention to Sam's authoritative voice behind me. He was attempting a genuine smile, grateful to know I was no longer a part of his mortal enemy's lives.

The atmosphere shifted back to a light one as Jared began telling other stories of the pack life alongside Paul. It seemed Paul decided to join in on the story telling as opposed to being the subject of the story.

I laughed, leaning into Jake for warmth as the night wore on. Quil had resumed Jake's previous location near my feet, leaning his back against the log. I was in stitches through the entire story of Jake's revenge on Embry for the clothing incident.

Apparently Jake dared him to shave a portion of legs and apparently that means that he was a very furless wolf on his hind legs. Embry was actually blushing and looking rather irritated at Paul's telling of the whole ordeal.

Jake offered a vivid description, getting obvious enjoyment of Embry's discomfort. The mental image of a wolf Embry with bald back legs was just more than I could handle. There were tears in my eyes by the time I was done laughing.

It was coming up on eleven which meant I would have to be heading back soon seeing as my curfew was still midnight. I offered help to Emily, carrying back a stack of empty food containers to her house. The guys stayed behind to clean up the site, stating they would bring in the remaining dishes.

I followed her inside, setting the pile in my arms on the counter. Emily filled the sink with warm, soapy water, while I volunteered to grab a towel and dry.

Emily was a kind, warm person; something I knew after only meeting her twice. She just made you feel welcome and accepted, making her a very hard person to dislike by any means. I hardly even took notice of the scars that marred her face.

"Can I ask you something?" her quiet voice spoke, breaking the silence.

"Sure," I replied casually as she handed me a plate to dry off.

"You don't have to answer, but…is there something going on between you and Quil?"

I nearly dropped the plate I was holding and my face flamed red. Emily noticed and giggled at my reaction to her question. "It's alright. You don't have to say anything," she soothed.

"It's not that…," I started. I hadn't talked about Quil to anyone but Angela, however, I felt as if I could trust Emily. Plus she was in on the secret of the pack as well so she could relate more. I took a deep breath before continuing, "I'm just not sure what's going on between us. We haven't really talked about it."

Emily nodded as she handed me a bowl. "How do you feel about him?" She cast me an expectant, sideways glance before returning her gaze to the dishes at hand.

A large smile instinctively crept across my mouth. "I love him," I sighed. Emily gave me a knowing look.

"That's what I thought," she mused.

When we were finished I complimented her on the delicious food and hugged her. Quil and Jake had returned to the house by then and hugged me goodbye as well, Jake reminding me to meet him at his house in the morning.

To my surprise, even Embry, Jared, and Kim gave me a small hug while Sam simply nodded. I almost felt like part of their close knit group, like I belonged. I gave one last backwards glance in the rearview mirror as I pulled away.

No comments:

Post a Comment