Monday, August 2, 2010

Torn: Chapter 12


When Jacob ignores Bella in New Moon she develops a friendship with Quil. They become close and then he too makes the change into a werewolf. What will happen in this Quil/Bella/Jacob triangle?

Title: Torn

Rating: T

Penname: Katbug86

Characters: Bella & Quil Jr.




Disclaimer: I’m sure we get the point by now…I’m do not own Twilight.


An: I have been asked about whether or not the Cullen’s will be in this story and the answer is no.

Lastly, I wanted to thank irisheyesrsmiling, llhc04, and no.1CullenFan for the ideas that helped make this chapter. Enjoy!


Chapter 12: Revelations


Branches scratched at my arms and legs as I ran. My hair flowing out behind me, the darkness obstructing my vision, and yet I continued on. Running…searching…unable to find what I was looking for. I stopped as I reached an opening in the trees, recognition grasping at my mind immediately…our meadow.


A figure appeared to my left and I whipped my head around to see Jake stepping into the clearing. He looked like ‘My Jacob’, the one before Sam took him from me. “Jake,” I breathed.


A sound to my right alerted me of someone approaching. I turned to see Quil heading towards me, stopping just inside the tree line. “Quil.” I looked between the two, wondering what they were doing here after they had each left me. Just like Edward did.


My eyes darted between the two boys…men….that each held a fraction of my heart. I was unable to decide which of them to go to so I remained where I stood. Slowly I reached a hand in either direction, hoping for them to come closer. For them to tell me it’s all ok now and we can be friends again. Instead, they growled, their attention facing the far end of the meadow. I followed their glaring eyes but saw nothing.


When my gaze returned to its previous targets, I no longer saw Jake or Quil. To my left now stood an enormous russet colored wolf; to my right was a slightly smaller chocolate colored one. My eyes widened in shock at the beautiful creatures before me and I knew, somehow, that these wolves were my best friends.


Each turned from me and headed towards the opposite end of the clearing…I wasn’t ready for them to leave me. “No…don’t leave me.”


The chocolate brown wolf I believed to be Quil paused in his steps. “Quil, don’t go,” I begged.

A tapping noise awoke me from my dream and my eyes flew open as I sat up in my bed, my previous dreams forgotten. Fear coursed through my body briefly as I heard the tapping again. My gaze darted to the window where the shadow of a figure danced across the bedroom floor in the moonlight. I let out a breath I hadn’t realized I’d been holding when I recognized Quil’s face.

My mood immediately shifted to anger as I recalled the events of earlier in the day. I threw back my covers and stomped my way to the window, throwing it up harshly.

“What are you doing here?!” I hissed through clenched teeth.

“I needed to see you.” The tone of his voice bordered on desperation and my resolve almost crumbled. Almost.

“You’ve made it perfectly clear you don’t want to see me. Now go.” My tone remained firm but quiet so as not to wake Charlie.

“Please Bella, let me explain.”

He was begging and my body was screaming at me; I wanted to kiss him, to have him hold me, but I had given him a piece of my heart and he broke it. I couldn’t forgive him just now.

“No.”

“Just five minutes.” With his words he began leaning closer to the window as if to climb in. Immediately I grabbed hold of the raised window and began to lower it. “Bella you already know what’s happening. Just remember,” he continued before I let the glass close completely.

I sighed deeply, letting my anger fade away in exhaustion as I made my way back to my bed. I settled against the pillows once more as I thought about Quil’s parting words. “You already know what’s happening…” Did I know what was happening? Why he and Jake had abandoned me so suddenly?

My mind was trying to remember, remember anything that could relate to Quil’s words but coming up blank. Frustrated, I scooted further under the covers and closed my eyes.

As I drifted off to sleep, remnants of a dream surfaced in my mind…Jake…Quil…Edward’s meadow…wolves…russet and chocolate fur…Jake…Quil…

My eyes shot open once again and I gasped loudly. Wolves…the Quileute legends. Jacob had told me his ‘scary stories’, the legend of his people and the wolves when I asked about the Cullen’s. He had told me all about them and The Cold Ones. The memories began coming back to me. The day at the beach, flirting with Jacob, and trying to get more information about Edward.

We had both been so innocent then. He was Jake and I was Bella. It was before a vampire tried to kill me, before a family of vampire’s broke my heart, and before my two best friends turned their backs on me.

But were they really wolves?! It seemed impossible, but then again, I knew vampires existed. It was a reasonable possibility that werewolves did too then. There was no way I was going to be able to sleep now. Bright red numbers on my alarm clock alerted me it was only four in the morning, making me acutely aware to the fact it was too early to go to La Push. I would have to wait until school was over. I briefly considered skipping the day entirely but the guys would probably be in school themselves. Either Quil or Jake was going to confirm my suspicion.

With these thoughts in mind I headed to the shower to get ready for the day and ponder my revelations further. The warm water was exactly what I needed to relieve the stress of the prior day and relax my tense muscles.

As I washed my hair, I began sorting through my thoughts. If Jacob had really become a werewolf, then why couldn’t he remain friends with me? He had promised to be there for me always only to break that very promise the next day. And Quil had known how broken I was over both Edward and Jacob. I believed he even had feelings of more than friendship towards me. Our date had been perfect and then, he too, turned away from me. And what did Sam Uley have to do with all this? Too many questions I needed answered.

When the water started to run cold I turned the shower off. I stepped out, wrapping a towel around myself, and headed back to my bedroom to get dressed. I took as much time as I could, picking out clothes and doing my hair.

It was still rather early when I had finished, so I decided to make Charlie a nice breakfast to keep myself busy. Charlie soon made an appearance in the kitchen as the smell of bacon permeated the air.

“Do you mind if I go to La Push after school?” I asked him as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

“Not at all. Going to see Quil?” He turned and raised his eyebrows at me expectantly. I filled his plate up with pancakes, eggs, and bacon before answering.

“And Jake,” He eyed me curiously at my comment. “I don’t know when I’ll be home,” I continued.

I could see him trying to suppress an overjoyed grin. If there was anything my dad wanted, it was to see Jake and me together; even if as friends, although I knew he secretly hoped we’d be much more. “You stay as long as you’d like."

By the time I arrived at school I felt like I was about to jump right out of my own skin from the anxiety coursing through me. I still wished I could skip the day entirely and just go to La Push right this minute. My mind wandered in every class, I barely paid any attention to each teacher. I figured I would just have to get notes or homework assignments from someone else. When it came to the last class for the day I could no longer tolerate the suspense and decided ditching was healthy in terms of this situation.

xXx
My heart was racing so fast I thought it would pound right out of my chest as I drove my truck down the highway, taking the familiar turnoff towards La Push. From experience I knew Quil would probably be down at the beach so I parked in the nearby parking area as opposed to his house. It would hopefully make finding him that much easier.

I slammed the door behind me once I had removed myself from the driver’s seat. My heart continued beating erratically as I quickly scanned the beach in either direction before making my way closer to the water.

I caught sight of a once familiar driftwood log and the thumping in my chest tripled. My once best friend was standing only ten feet from myself. An audible gasp escaped my lips as I took him in. I was not as prepared to see him as I was to see Quil.

Jake and I had not seen one another since that horrible day on this very beach. And while I may have made a new friend, I had lost one so dear to me. However, three weeks later I stood here again to lose Quil as well. Determination was driving me to not allow history to repeat itself a third time.

As I drew closer, Jake’s head snapped up in notice of me. My imagination could be running away from me, but love and longing seemed apparent in his eyes before he covered it up with his emotionless mask; ‘Sam’s face’ as I had come call it. Quil had a similar one and I hated that face.

“I thought I told you to stay away,” he growled.

His tone startled me, but I held my ground as I narrowed my eyes and fisted my hands at my sides in response. “I need to talk to you,” I stated firmly and with a lot more confidence then I was feeling in this moment.

“There’s nothing to talk about.” He turned his body to leave, but I was not ready for this conversation to be over. I had to know the truth; whether my accusation made me look crazy or not.

It was now or never. “So, you’re not a werewolf?” I tried to ask in the most nonchalant way possible. His footsteps faltered and he froze. Now I had his attention.

His head turned back slowly to face mine, his eyes as wide as saucers in shock. “How…what…?” he stuttered, unable to find his words.

“Are. You. A. Werewolf?” I repeated, enunciating each word.

Before I could even register what was happening, Jake’s face broke into a huge smile and I was scooped up into a bone crushing hug. “I knew you could figure it out Bells!” He pulled back without releasing me to look down at my face. He looked more like the Jacob I used to know in this moment, My Jacob. It also didn’t escape my knowledge that he had used my old nickname. “I’ve missed you so much.” This time there was no mistaking the intensity of the love he was conveying.

“I’ve missed you too Jake,” I sighed, hugging him to me once more. “How is this even possible?”

Before he could answer me, he turned his attention to the trees behind us. I followed his gaze in time to see the other five Quileute boys, including Sam, walking in our direction; each looking more furious than the last. All except Quil who looked utterly confused.

“Bella,” he looked at me questioningly.

The boy next to him spoke next, if you could even call him a boy. “Jacob, what have you done?!” He seemed to be the angriest of all of them. He was practically shouting and almost seemed to be vibrating. Sam put an arm out to retrain him as he began to advance towards us.

Jacob immediately set me down and took a protective stance in front of me. “I didn’t tell her. She figured it out,” he said defensively.

I peered around his side to see what was happening. Sam responded first, “I think we should move this elsewhere. Take her to Emily’s.”

The group left us, Quil lingering longer than the rest before following behind. I was still confused about this entire situation and hoped going to this ‘Emily’s’ meant finally getting some answers.

I looked up at Jake to see his posture finally relaxing. He looked down at me, “Come on, I’ll explain things when we get there.” I nodded, accepting his hand as he reached out for mine.



An: Oh and I’m just pretending Bella never encountered Laurant in the meadow for the purpose of this story. I actually meant to say something about it happening earlier…but forgot. Oops, so we’ll just pretend he’s happy with his life in Denali or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment