Monday, August 2, 2010

Torn: Chapter 11


When Jacob ignores Bella in New Moon she develops a friendship with Quil. They become close and then he too makes the change into a werewolf. What will happen in this Quil/Bella/Jacob triangle?

Title: Torn

Rating: T

Penname: Katbug86

Characters: Bella & Quil Jr.

Disclaimer: I still don’t own Twilight!



An: I figured after the flood of questions about Quil and imprinting I should clear up the confusion. There is no imprinting in this story! Having either Jacob or Quil imprint on Bella would make things too simple and easy.


Chapter 11: Heartbreak


QPOV

Telling Bella to leave was, hands down, the hardest thing I had ever done in my entire life. Honestly I have to admit she is kinda cute when she gets angry. The way she planted her feet, squared her shoulders, and glowered at me. I could see she was hurting, it showed in her eyes. It tore at me to know I was the cause of such pain. But through the entire stand-off all I wanted to focus on was that adorable frown and how I wanted to smooth it away with my fingers.

Everything was perfect up until Friday night after I dropped Bella off back at her house. These last three weeks with Bella had been some of the best days of my life. I loved her; completely. I loved her smile, her laugh, her clumsiness, her beautiful brown eyes and gorgeous hair, and I especially loved her cooking. Bella was everything I wanted in a girl and so much more.

I now knew why Jake was so obsessed. Embry and I had thought he was crazy, pining over some girl. But Bella was anything but some girl. And Jake…well…this was going to be an issue for us. I knew it. We both understand that we can’t change what is: we both are hopelessly in love with the same girl.

Friday was my seventeenth birthday and all I wanted was a night with my Bella. I wanted it to be special, to take us from being ‘just friends’ to something more. I wanted her to know how much I cared for her. I planned everything out for the evening, including asking my parents to go out for dinner. They knew I was going to cook for Bella and they were excited at the prospect of her becoming my girlfriend. Both of them adored Bella like she was their own.

The evening had proceeded as planned. I cooked fettuccini alfredo which she seemed to enjoy, we watched a movie while she cuddled right into me, and finally a walk on the beach that ended with the best kiss I had ever had.

I took her home around eleven-thirty, wanting to stay in good graces with Chief Swan. We kissed once more good night before I went back to my car and watched her disappear into the dark house.

It was when I got home that everything went to hell.

I had just pulled into the driveway when I saw someone standing to the side of the house and before I knew it, I was out of the car and face to face with Sam Uley. After that…something just…snapped.

My whole body shook with anger. I hated Sam Uley. He took away my two best friends and turned them against me. My body shook even more, I was almost vibrating with the amount of hatred I felt towards him. How dare he come to my house!

One minute I was standing there, shooting daggers at him with my eyes… and the next……I felt a surge of heat flow through me and I was on all fours in front of him. Sam’s expression was one of pure shock; his eyes as wide as saucers. To say I was disorientated and confused would be the understatement of the year.

Immediately Sam motioned for me to head into the woods, him following directly behind. When I turned around to face him again I saw a large, black wolf in his place instead.

“Quil.” I heard a voice in my head. Now I must be losing my mind.

“It’s me, Sam,” the voice continued, “everything is going to be ok. You’re not crazy. You know what’s happening. You’ve heard the legends. Think.”

I took a moment to consider his words. I thought about the legends we had all heard growing up. All the words the elders had spoken time and time again. Sam remained quiet while I worked through my thoughts. We had been there for no more than five minutes before it just…clicked.

“It’s all true?” I asked hesitantly. The wolf in front of me nodded his head. He then sat back on his hind legs and let a loud howl into the air.

“You should meet the pack now.”

While we waited for the other members to arrive Sam continued speaking to me through our ‘mind-link’, telling me details about my new life. I attempted to remain calm and absorb all this information. My mind still wandered to thoughts about my date with Bella which then led to just thoughts about Bella. It was then that I caught some of Jake’s thoughts and realized how in love with her he still was.

The night was long and ended with Sam showing me how to run their daily patrols.

I had called Bella early Saturday morning to cancel our plans. I didn’t elaborate my reasons and she didn’t ask. I could tell she was disappointed, but she said she’d call me the following day. That afternoon is when Sam told me I couldn’t be part of her life and come Sunday it took everything I had to not answer her calls. Sam’s words had crushed me completely. I now knew exactly how Jake felt.

So when she showed up looking for me I had to put on a hard mask to conceal my emotions and tell her to go. I needed to make this as easy as possible, for both of us.

She had taken my words better than I thought she would, considering all that’s happened. She was being defiant, trying to mask her own emotions. I knew better because I knew her all too well and her eyes would almost always give her away. I held onto my mask, rounded up every bit of courage I had left, and turned away from her for the last time.

But those words she whispered when she thought I was too far away to hear caused my feet to quicken their pace. I needed to run as far away from Bella Swan as I could before I turned around and grabbed her up, never to let go again. I didn’t phase, I wanted my thoughts to myself.

I stopped to sit against a tree after running for several minutes. My mind was repeating the same three words over and over…

“I love you.”

Bella had said she loved me.

She loved me. My heart swelled at just that one thought. It also ached that I would never get the chance to tell her that I loved her too.

I cursed Sam again for preventing me from seeing Bella. I know he’s worried that something will happen; that I might not be able to control myself.

He had once unwillingly let images of himself phasing in front of a young Native American girl flitter through his mind. I assumed this was the Emily he thought of often and I could feel the love and guilt he felt. Her beauty would be forever damaged because of him, but in my heart I knew I would never hurt Bella.

There had to be a way around this entire situation; a way to tell her with actually telling her.

A thought occurred to me then, maybe she didn’t need told, but reminded. I had listened to some of Jake’s thoughts about Bella the day before while he was remembering when he first saw her on the beach with her friends. The way he had walked with her and told our legends.

She already knew everything, she just didn’t know. I had to tell her and I had to do it before Sam or any of my brothers could stop me.

With determination now flowing through me I ran as fast as my legs would take me towards Forks. Towards Bella.

I made it to her house in very little time and climbed the tree just outside her bedroom window with ease. I could hear residual sniffles as she slept, most likely from crying. A new wave of guilt flowed through me.

“Quil,” she sighed.

I could hear the love in her voice as she said my name and it solidified my decision to keep her in my life.

I heard her whimper. “No…don’t leave me…” Desperation and panic were evident in her words this time. “Quil, no…don’t go.” I couldn’t listen to this any longer. I needed to wake her up.

Her window was shut so I tapped on the glass to get her attention.

Bella shot up in her bed suddenly looking around her room. I tapped again on the glass. Her eyes darted directly to me and I took notice of how puffy and red they were. She scowled when she recognized me and stomped over, throwing open the window harshly.

“What are you doing here?!” she demanded.

No comments:

Post a Comment