Monday, August 16, 2010

Fate: Chapter 5

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over." - Unknown

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight.

An: Big thanks to Buff82, she helps keep my shit together and remains my voice of reason when I try to write things at 2am that make no sense at all. She's awesome.

Chapter 5: Secrets and Surprises

QPOV

I'd seen countless boring romantic movies where the guy sees the girl for the first time and the world stops all around him. Time suspends and wind blows through her hair, tousling it about. It was something I had always made fun of whenever Bella forced me to watch those types of movies.

And then it happened to me.

I walked through the door and there she sat, snuggled into a velvety pillow while glowing in all her glory; a halo of light highlighting her small form. She fucking glistened.

The world did stop around me, my body froze, and the shock of a million emotions exploded through me. My heart swelled in my chest and for a moment I feared it may burst. She was perfect, she was the one.

When the world did start moving again it was in slow motion. The earth seemed to shift and gravity pulled me towards her.

"You're so pussy whipped," Paul's inner voice snorted at me, interrupting my memories. A shot of nerves jolted through me as I quickly blocked my thoughts. It still amazed me that I had been able to keep my secret for the past six months, even from most of the pack.

"Shut the hell up!" I mentally shouted at him. While Paul had mellowed out since imprinting on Jake's sister, Rachel, it didn't mean he wasn't still an ass whenever the opportunity presented itself.

I could tell he was getting ready to say something else, but thankfully Jake cut in and told him to knock it off. The two were running a quick early morning patrol before the festivities for the day began. I snickered to myself, because it wasn't the fact that Jake was the pack beta that caused Paul to listen, it was the fact that if he didn't, Jake would make it difficult for Paul to have alone time with Rachel.

A glimpse into Paul's thoughts let me know I was right.

I phased back once I reached the woods outside my house. My thoughts being my own once again allowed me to think back to earlier that morning.

I hated having to slip out of Bella's room while she was still sleeping, but I also couldn't bring myself to wake her. She sighed in contentment and snuggled closer to my body. I smiled instinctively, loving how she felt against me.

Last night when Bella had brought up college and her wishes of wanting me with her… it was as if something inside of my just snapped. I couldn't give her those things and it made me doubt that she'd want to continue being with me while knowing that fact.

It took everything I had to not let her see that her words had bothered me, but I should've known better. Bella could always see right through me. It was one of the reasons I loved her so much. And then she surprised the hell out of me when she told me that none of it mattered. That she just wanted me.

She was actually angry that I had suggested she wouldn't want to be with me. The fire behind her eyes and the threatening tone she attempted towards me left me amazed, and if possible, a little more in love with her than I had been before.

Knowing that she was ok with how our life would have to be; a life on the reservation that would include me hopefully working at my own garage alongside Jake and Embry while we continued running the pack. And I would make sure that I helped Bella achieve whatever she needed in order to be happy in that life. The things she had said to me the night before filled me with hope, a hope I never wanted to lose.

A ghost of a smile played across Bella's face as I watched her sleep. I reached my hand up to tuck an errant strand of her gorgeous hair behind her ear and then leaned down to place a soft kiss on her temple. The smile she wore widened and her mouth fell open slightly.

"Quil…" she breathed, causing my heart to soar.

I knew if I didn't leave right then that I might not do so at all, so I forced myself from her bed while being ever so careful as to not disturb the sleeping beauty beside me.

Removing my shorts to tie to my leg once I was under the cover of trees, I phased. The feeling of being in my wolf form was always somewhat freeing and I reveled in the peacefulness it gave me. My nerves were catching up with me and it had nothing to do with the graduation ceremony that would be taking place in just a few short hours.

I'd had little time during the week to worry about the events I had planned for that evening. Bella showing up in Forks a week early had certainly been a surprise, albeit a wonderful surprise. I just wished I had been able to see more of her than the mere 'hello' and 'goodnight' each evening before I'd pass out in her bed from sheer exhaustion.

In a way I guess it was better because it left me with less time to analyze Bella and our relationship, giving me less time to doubt myself and my plans.

Bella was supposed to be meeting at the high school along with everyone else, so I took my time getting ready. Mom insisted that I wear dress pants and a nice shirt, and bit back the urge to argue with her on the point. In reality I didn't mind so much, because I liked looking nice for Bella. She seemed to especially like me in my button down—not as much as she liked me in no shirt at all—but still, it was enough for me agree with my mom and put on the recommended attire.

With left over time to spare, I told my parents that I had to run over to Sam's real quick and that I would see them at the school later on. There was no way to not risk dirtying my clothes if I phased, so I reluctantly walked the entire way to the little house on the other side of La Push.

It was actually Emily I had wanted to see and not Sam. Their house had an open door policy for the most part, so I didn't bother knocking. I found her in the kitchen, the same place she could usually be found, getting ready to pull muffins from the oven.

"Morning, Sam's not home," she said as she placed the pan on top of the burners to cool.

"Uh… yeah, I'm actually not here to see Sam," I explained nervously.

"Oh?" she quirked an eyebrow at me as she wiped her hands on her apron.

"Yeah, I was hoping you could make sure Bella doesn't wander around La Push today? Maybe keep her busy or something?"

She smiled knowingly at me. "I can do that, but would you like to tell me why I'm doing it?"

I freaking blushed. Emily Young had made me blush over one simple question, but she was rather intimidating looking at me like she was—all expectant and shit. I couldn't help but spill my entire plan for the evening, and then I held my breath waiting for her reaction. For her to tell me it was all a stupid idea or something equally as bad.

Instead she grinned brightly and wrapped me in a hug. "That sounds perfect. She'll love it."

With those words alone, I was soaring once again. If Emily thought it was good, then I couldn't doubt it either. I thanked her and left, realizing it was time for me to head over to the High School.

Cars were already filing into the parking lot, and I spotted my parents pulling in just as I walked up. I told them I'd meet them after the ceremony, let them each give me a hug for good luck, and then found myself a place to stand near the set of double doors.

I'd only been standing there for maybe ten minutes when I recognized Jake's car near the back of the lot. Charlie's cruiser, driving behind it, was easier to notice.

Bella stepped out of the passenger side and I couldn't help the twinge of jealously that bubbled up inside me when I saw him take her hand. It was completely unnecessary since I knew they didn't have those types of feelings for one another anymore, but it didn't stop the emotion from making itself known anyway.

When I realized what Bella was wearing, all other coherent thoughts left my mind. She was in a dress of all things. I had seen Bella wear a skirt once or twice, but I had never seen her in a dress before. I wasn't long before I noticed myself having… uh… other reactions as I took in her appearance.

It didn't help matters that she then ran up to me and wrapped her creamy arms around my neck and placed her soft lips against my own. I wanted to hold her there forever and ensure that she'd never get away.

"Hey graduate," she said after she pulled back, a brilliant smile gracing her face.

"I'm not a graduate yet. Give me an hour," I teased.

She pecked me on the mouth once more. "Close enough." I didn't argue with her cause I was just happy to have her near me for the first time since that morning. Jake slipped past us and went inside while we stayed there a little longer, arms still wrapped around one another.

After a final 'I love you' and 'Good luck', I reluctantly let her go and went to join my fellow class mates. I took my place near the front of the line, glancing back momentarily to grin at Jake and Embry in a, we-actually-did-it, sort of way.

We seated ourselves and I quickly searched the crowd for both Bella and my parents. I saw them sitting together along with Charlie, Billy, and Embry's Mom in the first two rows in to the right. I smiled and gave waved at Bella, chuckling to myself when she blushed and waved back.

They started calling names for us to receive our diploma, and I waited patiently, though mine was one of the first. It was both a good thing and a bad thing, because while I got to get my turn over with, it also meant I still had to sit through the calling of every other student's name.

"Quil Ateara," the principal called out through the microphone. I stood and grinned as I made my way towards the stage, thinking of Bella and how she would be worried sick about tripping and falling if she were in my place right then.

I glanced up, my eyes locking on hers as I took the sheet of paper that marked the beginning of my supposed adulthood. It felt as if I were looking at her for the first time, every emotion she was feeling lying naked and open for me to see.

Her gaze was intense, but I had to break away and head back to my seat. I knew then that I would be unable to stay and speak to her after the ceremony. I would lose my resolve and my secret would be revealed sooner than I wanted.

My leg bounced nervously through the remainder of the ceremony. I clapped and whistled loudly as Jake and Embry's name's were called; listening in amusement as Charlie and Billy did the same—they could be heard above the crowd.

There weren't many kids in our class, so the last of the names were called rather quickly and before I knew it, we were done. I shot up from my seat, eager to leave and get over to First Beach for the bonfire set up.

"Jake!" I called out over the crowd of fellow students. His werewolf senses enabled him to hear me despite the noise in the room, and he turned and walked towards me as I signaled that I needed to speak with him.

"What's up, man?" Jake was one of the very few people who knew of my secret; in fact he'd been the first person I'd told. I had fully prepared myself for his potential anger, even for a possible fight, but it never came. Instead he shocked the hell out of me by offering his help. It was a true sign that Bella's happiness was more important to him than his own.

"Can you tell Bella I'll see her at the bonfire?" I asked while darting my eyes around to make sure she hadn't come looking for me.

"Sure," he drawled out, looking at me suspiciously, "but why aren't you telling her yourself?"

I decided honestly was the best policy in that situation. "Because if I see her now, I'll ruin my plans for tonight."

He nodded in understanding and agreed to pass the message along. "Oh, and tell her I love her, will you?"

"Sure, sure."

I knew that while I was able to avoid Bella until later, I would not be able to avoid my parents. I waited anxiously by their car, hoping against hope that Bella didn't walk out with them. Luck seemed to be on my side when they appeared, alone.

They congratulated me and told me how proud they were, and then they each hugged me one more time before saying that they would be by the bonfire later on. I even thought I saw my mom tear up before she turned to open her door.

Knowing that I had a lot of work to do by the beach, I wanted to change out of my dress clothes and also grab a few other things needed for the party. Infinitely more comfortable in my khaki shorts and cotton t-shirt, I glanced in the mirror one more time before leaving.

My reflection didn't look any different despite the fact that I felt like a completely different person. That moment between Bella and I in the gym had changed me, and I wasn't sure just how much, but if I was being completely honest, I hadn't felt the same for the last six months, not since that day.

It was time to ask Bella once and for all, I was putting our future in her hands. The little secret I'd been carrying around with me fluttered a new round of nerves in the pit of my stomach and I took in a deep breath.

Time to go.

I didn't bother stopping inside Emily and Sam's house, instead opting to head straight for the beach front where most of the guys had gathered to start moving driftwood into a pile for both the bonfire and as seating around it. I knew I'd made the right choice when I heard Bella's truck pull up a half hour later.

Jake joined us and we continued working, stopping often to joke around and goof off. Bella's truck signaled that she was leaving just a short time after she'd arrived and I breathed a sigh of relief that I'd spoken to Emily earlier that morning.

At one point Sam sent Embry and myself to run another quick patrol before people were due to start arriving. The run helped to calm my nerves some, and Embry was grateful enough to not interrupt that continuous stream of thoughts that I was unable to block from him.

When we finished we found the party had already kicked off. Emily had already brought down the various items of food and placed them on a nearby table that one of the guys must have set up. I spotted Jared and Kim, who had not been there when I left, snuggled up together next to the fire.

A quick scan of the partiers let me know that Bella had yet to arrive. In my search I did see Charlie helping Billy make his way down, so I assumed she wouldn't be far behind.

As if on cue the familiar roar of her truck in the distance caught my ear. I wiped my sweating palms against my shorts, took one more deep breath in a futile attempt to calm myself, and began heading towards the house to meet her when she pulled up.

She smiled as she parked her truck and instinctively I smiled back. My heart began to race in anticipation, and I prayed that Bella wouldn't be able to tell. I watched as she exited that cab of her truck but then crinkled my brow in confusion when she didn't immediately walk over to me, but instead, circled around to the passenger door and opened it.

She leaned in for a few moments and I heard a high pitched squeal which only furthered my confused state. Bella leaned back and slammed the door shut and that's when I noticed the bouncing toddler on her hip.

My breath hitched.

My entire world stopped.

And I did the only thing I could think of in that moment—I ran.

No comments:

Post a Comment