Monday, August 16, 2010

Torn: Chapter 22


When Jacob ignores Bella in New Moon she develops a friendship with Quil. They become close and then he too makes the change into a werewolf. What will happen in this Quil/Bella/Jacob triangle?


Title: Torn

Rating: T

Penname: Katbug86

Characters: Bella & Quil Jr.
Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight.

Chapter 22: Broken



QPOV

Patrolling was becoming tiresome and frustrating as we kept watch for the redheaded leech. Not that I wasn't happy to do so because it meant keeping Bella safe and I was damned determined to make sure she stayed that way.

I'd do anything for Bella.

Even if it meant being away from her for several days—the longest we will have been apart since we became friends. Other than the four days I ignored her after our first date that is, but I was choosing not to remember those particular four days.

This bloodsucker was wearing on all our nerves with her sudden disappearing act. She hadn't been seen since Saturday night and it had all of us on edge, wondering when her next attempt to break through our border would be. We weren't stupid enough to believe that she had given up.

"See or smell anything?" Sam's inner voice broke through my thoughts.

"Not a thing," I replied.

"What about you, Paul?" he asked next.

"There's still no sign of her," he huffed. Paul was almost as upset as I was about not getting the leech last time. He wanted a good fight and the satisfaction of ripping one of those monsters to pieces.

Sam, Paul, Embry, and I had been taking turns running the rounds around La Push all week. We'd have two pack members keeping watch at all times and then three of us at night. You'd think with all the patrolling I was having to do that I'd have less time to think about Bella, but unfortunately this was not the case.

The only thing that made the entire situation better was that Jake was not staying phased at the same times as I was. Whether he was doing this on purpose or not, I wasn't sure, but in the end I decided it was probably better anyway if I didn't know what he did while at Bella's house.

I trusted them. I trusted her. But it didn't mean I wanted the visual aid to show me he was spending time with her when I couldn't. All I knew what that I needed to see her—soon.

I had already been away from her for three days and tomorrow morning Bella would be leaving for Seattle and not coming home until Monday. I could wait another three days…

maybe…

Ok, probably not.

"Quil, go."

"What?" I had no idea what he was talking about.

"You've been patrolling all week, take the night off. Go see Bella," Sam said.

I was stunned he had told me I could go see her, but then again, I didn't need to be told twice so I wasn't going to question it. I turned, mentally thanking Sam, and headed to where I left my clothes at the edge of the trees near the beach.

"Why the hell does he—" Paul's rant cut off as I phased.

I didn't want the guys in my head so I ran to Forks on foot, hoping Bella would be awake and that she would invite me to stay. It might irritate Jake, but I didn't care at this point. He'd already seen her every day this week.

When I arrived at Bella's I didn't see Jake outside anywhere. I made a quick patrol round the perimeter of the area, half hoping to find him and half hoping not to. When I circled back to Bella's window, I still hadn't found any sign of Jake. He must be patrolling the woods behind the house, I thought.

That was good cause it meant I wouldn't have to deal with him tonight. Things had become more strained than usual between us after he caught a glimpse of Bella and I kissing in her kitchen in my thoughts.

I quickly made my way to the tree outside her window, climbing up carefully to both make sure that I didn't fall and to not wake Charlie. When I got to the branch that stretched out to the side of the house, I looked up and froze.

There – on her bed—was Bella and Jacob. He was most definitely not patrolling. They were lying side by side with Jake's hand pressed against her backside, holding her to him. Her hands were in his hair, pulling him impossibly closer.

I felt like I was going to be sick.

I sat there staring, shocked in place and unable to do anything except watch the scene that would be my undoing. The sight of them together in her room, let alone on her bed, was enough to make me jealous or even upset.

But the sight of him kissing her just made me feel… betrayed… broken and there was nothing I could do about it because I had no claim over her.

Bella sighed as Jacob deepened the kiss and it was like someone had ripped my heart out, only to stomp all over it before handing it back to me. Like everything I thought she and I had together was nothing more than a figment of my imagination.

I knew Bella and Jake had feelings for one another. I knew it and ignored it because I loved her too and thought that would be enough. Apparently I was wrong—very wrong.

It felt like I had been watching for eternity, as if time had stopped as my world shattered to pieces around me. In reality it was only a mere couple of minutes.

Gathering as much strength as I could muster, I quickly scrambled back away from the window, trying to pry my eyes away from the sight of my best friend and the girl I had given my heart to, even if she didn't know it.

In my haste I lost my footing and nearly fell from the tree and ended up jumping to the ground from half way up instead of continuing my descent.

As soon as my feet hit the ground I bolted, heading for the woods. The physically ill feeling I had before was increasing in intensity. My body began to shake as the images or Bella and Jake flashed through my mind as if on some sick, twisted movie reel. I phased before I even hit the trees.

It didn't matter where I was going— I just needed to get away from there. To forget the image of Bella being held in his arms as their mouth's moved mouths moved together perfectly; an image that was now forever burned in my mind.

I knew the guys could see what had happened— their voices calling out to me but barely breaking through my heartbroken induced haze.

"Damn."


"Holy shit…"


"You ok man?"

I ignored them all even though I appreciated Embry's concern. Right now was not a good time for me to talk and I was overly grateful when Sam told them to leave me alone. With my thoughts my own again, I was able to think through the emotions coursing through me.

Betrayal… hurt… heartbreak… love… and anger. Anger at myself because this didn't change the fact that I was still hopelessly in love with Bella Swan despite the fact she was so obviously not in love with me.

How could I have been so naïve as to think that she would choose me over him. They were friends first. He loved her first and he was the one who started to put her back together after that idiot Edward left.

I was pacing back and forth in a small clearing of trees, running through every moment Bella and I had together over the last couple months. Tuesday was most prominent… specifically our kiss before I left. It was the last pleasant memory I would have of us.

What could have changed in three days?

I was still contemplating what I was going to do now when I smelled it. That sickly, sweet, and distinctly familiar vampire scent. I knew that scent. Her.

It took less than a second before I was running, chasing the trail. A warning howl ripped from my chest to alert the guys.

"Don't attack until we get there," Sam instructed.

Paul's smug voice sounded next, "Yes…. I've been itching for a good fight!"

Equal sounds of excitement came from Embry and Jared just as I felt Jake phase.

"What's going on? Is it the leech?" he asked, concerned.

I blocked my thoughts as best I could to focus on the issue you at hand. Fighting and arguing with him would not be appropriate at the moment.

"I found a trail and I'm following it now," I answered him.

I pushed forward, digging my paws into the ground to run faster despite Sam's warnings to hold back until they arrived. Red flashed in front of me and I knew I was getting closer.

"We're almost there. Distract her… don't attack." He all but ordered.

This was it, I hoped. We could destroy her and Bella could be safe because there was no way I was letting this bloodsucker get away from us again.

The leech suddenly came to a halt in front of me and I skidded to a stop, growling at her viciously. At least fighting her would take out some of the anger and hurt I was feeling over the nights events.

She sneered at me, her lips curling back over her teeth. I hated this… thing… with everything I had in me.

For every movement she made, however slight it may be, I would counter. We were steadily moving in a circle, a dance of sorts, never taking our eyes off the other.

"You can't save her," she spat at me.

I growled louder this time and she threw her head back, laughing. She sounded crazed, making her typical chiming bell voice distorted and unnerving.

"I'll get her eventually… it'll be slow… and painful," she said to me, her voice laced with malice. "And then I'll suck every last drop of blood from her body." The grin on her face as she told me this made my insides churn.

I didn't think. I lunged for her, snapping my teeth manically while ignoring the shouts from my brother's in my head.

Her arm swung out from her body as she sidestepped my attack. I didn't notice until it was too late and that's when I heard it—the sickening snap of my bones giving.

The pain was immediate, tearing through my body as I fell limply to the ground. Her laughter permeated the air once again as the sounds of growls close by alerted me that my brothers had finally made it.

My vision became blurry and I felt another searing pain shoot through my body before I gave in and let unconsciousness claim me.

No comments:

Post a Comment