Monday, August 16, 2010

Fate: Chapter 4


"The language of friendship is not words but meanings."
- Henry David Thoreau

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight.

An: My beta, Buff82, rocks.

Chapter 4: Candy Apple Red

I woke early the next morning, alone—a note on my pillow the only indication that Quil had been there.

-Bella

Didn't want to wake you, had to leave to get ready. See you at the school. I love you.

-Quil

Smiling at his words, I placed the scrap of paper in my nightstand drawer along with the many others he had written to me over the years. A yawn forced its way out of me as I stretched my arms above my head, shaking off the last remnants of sleep.

It saddened me that he had once again slipped out of my room while I was still sleeping; however, I also knew he had a big day ahead of him that required a lot of preparation. Not only would he have to get ready for his impending high school graduation ceremony, he was also helping to set up for the bonfire they were having in La Push that evening.

Having three members of their pack getting a diploma was a big cause for celebration, and celebrate was exactly what they planned to do. The ceremony was at ten and the bonfire started at six, the time between saved for preparation of food and such.

I glanced quickly at my alarm clock, hoping I hadn't slept in too much. The glowing red numbers flashed 7:00, leaving me with plenty of time for a shower and breakfast. Charlie's open bedroom door as I headed for the bathroom let me know he was already awake for the day.

Once showered and back in my room I was thankful to Alice and our renewed friendship. It meant I wasn't left with much decision making as to what I should wear for the day. A package had arrived to my dorm room a week before I left for Forks, a quick note inside stating I should wear the approved outfit as opposed to the jeans and sweater ensemble she had apparently 'seen' me choose.

I had snorted rather loudly when I read that, but decided to play nice and bring the dress- yes, dress, along with me in hopes that at least Quil would enjoy seeing me wear it. Alice had also added a new pair of designer jeans and fitted sweater to the box saying I should wear them to the bonfire/grad party. The only thing I had no plans on wearing were the heels that she had added for the dress, instead opting for a pair of ballet flats I had bought on a previous shopping trip with her.

The last thing I needed was to trip—more so than usual anyway—and embarrass my sexy as hell boyfriend on his special day. It took me hardly any time at all to dress and I went back into the bathroom to brush through my long wavy hair, letting it air dry. Quil always seemed to like running his fingers through it anyway.

Downstairs I found a note from Charlie stating that he was already over at the Black's house and that I should join him when I was awake and ready. Apparently our plans to meet at the La Push High School had changed.

I poured a bowl of cereal, inhaling it quickly before grabbing my keys and heading for my truck.

My truck rumbled to a stop and I parked in front of the familiar red house, not bothering to knock before I simply walked inside. Dad and Billy were seated in the living room, beers in hand. I took note that Charlie had put on his rarely worn dress shirt and pants, quite sure the last time I'd seen him wear it was at my own graduation.

"He's in his room," Billy said to me without breaking his gaze from the television.

"Thanks," I chirped on my way down the hall. The door to Jacob's room was closed and I paused briefly outside it, debating whether or not I should knock or just walk right in. Figuring we'd never really been ones to worry about privacy, I reached forward and grabbed the handle.

The door flung open and froze, wishing with everything I had that I had decided to knock instead. There, in the middle of his cramped up room, was Jacob—Bare. Ass. Naked.

It took all of thirty seconds for me to throw my hand over my eyes and squeak out a surprised, "Oh," while trying to feel around for the door handle once more to pull it shut. I knew my face was most likely a brilliant shade of candy apple red, but it couldn't be helped.

In the few short seconds I'd seen him I'd already had the image of his naked body seared into my mind. There was no way I could not notice him if you knew what I meant, and up until that point I'd only seen one man naked and that happened to be my boyfriend.

"Bella?" Jake's voice called to me through the door.

"Yeah?" I responded timidly, still trying to calm myself from the situation.

"You can come in now."

I cautiously opened the door, parting it slowly inch by inch, before I entered the room for the second time. Even with his russet colored skin I could see a faint blush in Jake's cheeks, letting me know that the situation had been embarrassing to not only me, but him as well.

He'd since wrapped a towel around his lower half, but left his upper body exposed as he rifled through the various crap scattered around the room. The blush that had begun to recede from my cheeks warmed my skin again.

"Um… Jake?"

He stopped digging through the stuff on his desk and turned to glance my way.

"Could… could you maybe put some clothes on?" I asked, still not comfortable with his state of undress. He typically wore just as little clothing when clad in only his cut off shorts and no shirt, but somehow in that room and having him in nothing but a towel made it feel much more intimate than it should have been.

His eyes widen slightly with understanding of my discomfort. "Sure, sure." Jake disappeared behind his closet door momentarily, grabbing a hanger with what looked like recently ironed dress clothes. He walked past me out of his room and across the hall into the bathroom, shutting the door behind him.

Feeling much more at ease with the knowledge that he would no longer be half naked—or even completely naked—I ventured further into the room and sat down on the edge of his bed. Jacob returned minutes later, fully dressed, and I sighed a breath of relief.

"Don't you clean up well," I teased, settling back into our playful, easy relationship.

He rolled his eyes dramatically. "Gee, thanks Bells."

An hour later, Jacob and I were riding side by side in his rabbit while Charlie and Billy followed behind us in the cruiser. Despite the fact that I would be dropping Jacob off at Sam's after the ceremony, he insisted on driving stating that it was some kind of 'Right of Passage' or something since it was his graduation day. I just rolled my eyes and let him think that it made sense.

It didn't matter to me much except that we would have to stop by his house to retrieve my truck before I could take him to Sam's and then return home. I still hadn't seen Quil that day and it was making me anxious. I didn't like being away from him for long and especially on such an important day in his life.

The school on the reservation wasn't very large, but when we arrived most of the parking lot had been filled. It seemed that nearly every person in La Push was in attendance, not that it should have been surprising what with the bond between families that were shared within the tribe.

Jacob took my hand once we were out of the car and I smiled, reassuring him it was ok. I knew the gesture was nothing more than friendly, and even though we were two years past our 'relationship' it was nice that we could still be the Jake and Bells we once were.

Quil was waiting outside the main doors when we walked up. I released Jake's hand and ran up to him, wrapping my arms around him affectionately. He kissed me chastely, most likely noting Charlie's presence behind me.

"Hey graduate." I could practically hear the smile in my voice.

He chuckled softly. "I'm not a graduate yet. Give me an hour."

I rolled my eyes and pecked him once more on the lips. "Close enough."

By the time I said my 'good lucks' and 'I love yous' to Quil, Charlie and Billy had already found their seats inside. They motioned me over and I made my way to my seat, smiling to each of the people I recognized along the way. Quil's parents were seated in front of me beside Embry's Mom. Each of whom turned around to quickly ask about school and how my summer was going thus far.

We quieted down when the principal began to speak and focused our attention on the three boys that meant the most to each one of us. I picked Quil out from the group of students near the front. He smiled and gave a little wave, to which I blushed and smiled back.

I was beyond proud of him and everything he had accomplished. I knew being a member of the wolf pack was hard on him, but he had managed that and going to school and even making time for me every chance he got. Being able to juggle so many things at his young age without being given the choice made him that much more extraordinary in my eyes.

It didn't matter that both Jake and Embry had essentially done the same thing. What mattered was that the boy I had fallen in love with had become a man before my eyes and I loved him all the more for it.

I heard Quil's name being called and watched as he walked across the stage with his head held high and a huge grin on his face. Only he wasn't watching the principal, the teachers, or even his friends and family as he accepted his diploma—instead, he was watching me; eyes piercing my gaze from far across the room.

Yet another blush crept its way into my cheeks, but I grinned back anyway without ever looking away. It was as if he could see straight into my soul and suddenly I felt bare—naked for the world to see. He broke the trance first, having to step off stage and return to his seat. I knew my cheeks were still burning candy apple red and I didn't dare look to see if Charlie had noticed our intimate exchange.

Jake's name was called next with Embry's not far after. Charlie and Billy attempted to embarrass them by whistling and yelling as loud as they could, not that it had any effect on either boy. My mind however, was still replaying the intimate moment Quil and I had shared.

Even from my seat I had seen the emotion, the love, the intensity in Quil's eyes. I loved him too—with my whole heart, but it was then that I truly realized what I wanted for my life. I wanted Quil, forever and always, not matter what. Age didn't matter, having to stay in Forks because of the pack didn't matter, not even our limited visitation over the next two years mattered—I'd take him anyway I could have him.

The revelation hit me fast and strong, but I didn't falter in my thoughts. It all felt so… right.

"Bella?" a voice interrupted my thoughts and I turned to see my Dad looking at me expectantly. Shit… he'd said something and I wasn't paying attention. When I glanced around I noticed that people were getting ready to leave and I realized I must have been out of it for longer than I thought.

I shook my head to clear it before answering. "Yes?"

Charlie eyed me suspiciously but didn't say a word. Billy, on the other hand, gave one of his knowing smirks. I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes and glare at him. "I'm gonna take Billy on home and hang out there till tonight. You going with Jake?"

"Yeah," I nodded my head for emphasis, "he's taking me to get my truck and then I'm dropping him off at Sam's so he can set up for the bonfire."

"Are you staying around here or going back to Forks?"

I wasn't sure what was with the twenty questions, but I answered anyway, shrugging my shoulder in the process. "Umm… I might see if Emily needs any help, but if not I'll just go home. Probably need to get some rest since I'll be up late tonight."

Jake was outside leaning against the wall when I exited the doors we'd come in from. "Where's Quil?" I asked him, because I still hadn't seen him since he'd walked across the stage and I wanted to tell him I loved him one more time before we went our separate ways for the day.

"He said to tell you he had a lot to get done for the bonfire and that he'd see you tonight," Jake answered as if he'd been repeating the sentence over and over until he saw me. I couldn't help the pout that settled on my face at the thought of not seeing Quil for several more hours. "He also said to tell you he loves you," he continued.

The corner of my mouth twitched as Jake slung one arm around my shoulders and guided me toward the parking lot. We stopped by his house first so he could change into more casual clothing—i.e. nothing but shorts and a t-shirt, no shoes—and also so I could pick up my truck.

I half hoped to see Quil when we pulled up in front of Sam and Emily's, but was disappointed to find he was nowhere in sight. However, I had managed to find a flustered looking Emily. "Honey, please don't touch that," her sweet voice chastised and I rounded the corner to see her speaking to a little girl who strongly resembled herself. Jake had headed off toward the beach and I had come inside to see if help was needed.

The little girl frowned briefly, but turned and smiled when she saw me standing there. "Hi there," I told her with a smile. "My name's Bella."

"I'm Claire," she boasted proudly, just as I assumed any child her age would. Emily stood and turned to face me at the sound of my voice.

"Hey Bella, this is my niece," she explained.

"She's cute." I had never been around children, being an only child and both my parents were only children. But I was instantly taken with Claire, with her ebony hair, chocolate brown eyes, and delicate little face—she was adorable.

"My sister dropped her off to visit for the week, but I didn't realize how difficult it would be to cook and watch her at the same time."

The words spilled out of my mouth before I realized what I was saying, "I'll keep an eye on her."

Emily sighed heavily in relief. "Would you?" I could hear the hope in her voice and I couldn't help but laugh a little.

"Sure, sure, no problem. Want us to hang out here or would you rather I take her to Charlie's and come back later?"

Something flashed in her eyes, as if suddenly remembering something. "Come back later." The words were immediate and rushed and I couldn't help but cock an eyebrow at her in question.

She smiled sweetly; all traces of whatever it was were gone. "I just think I'll get more done if I had the house to myself and could focus."

I smiled back and turned my attention to Claire. "How would you like to go to my house?"

She nodded excitedly and launched herself at me, wrapping her tiny arms around my legs in a hug. I leaned down to scoop her in my arms and carried her outside to my truck. Emily followed me out, handing me a small booster seat.

"We're riding in this?" Claire asked and I couldn't decide if she sounded excited or terrified.

"Yes, this is my truck. Do you like it?" I asked as I lifted her into the seat and latched the buckle.

She giggled and squirmed under the buckle. "It's so old," she laughed.

I couldn't help but laugh with her. "Yes, yes it is."

"It's like a dinosaur!" She exclaimed and clapped her hands. I smiled back, her happiness was truly infectious. Anyone else ragging on my truck would have earned themselves a stern glaring, but I could already feel that she had me wrapped around her little finger. This should be interesting, I thought as I closed the door to my truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment