Monday, August 2, 2010

Torn: Chapter 9


When Jacob ignores Bella in New Moon she develops a friendship with Quil. They become close and then he too makes the change into a werewolf. What will happen in this Quil/Bella/Jacob triangle?

Title: Torn

Rating: T

Penname: Katbug86

Characters: Bella & Quil Jr.



Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight!



An: Seth and Leah Clearwater have not phased yet, as well as Colin or Brady. Just a reminder.


Chapter 9: New Pack Member


JPOV

Freaking kitchen never has enough food. I miss Bella’s cooking…I thought to myself as I slammed the refrigerator door shut. I quickly shook my head to dispel that line of thinking and continued scouring for something to eat. My search, however, was abruptly halted when I heard Sam’s howl pierce the air. Crap! Now I’m gonna have to wait to eat!

I quickly exited out the back door and made my way to the woods. Once under the cover of the trees I discarded my shorts, strapping them to my ankle, and phased within minutes. As soon as my wolf form took over the thoughts filled my head from every one of my pack brothers making me initially unable to decipher one from the other.

“I’m here. What’s going on Sam?” I knew from his howl that it was just a meeting of sorts and not the finding of a new leech scent.

“It’s Quil. He’s phased.”

I internally groaned…this is not something I want to deal with at the moment. Now that the thoughts were settling I could separate one from the other. Jared, Paul, and Sam were in a clearing of trees with Quil. Embry was running towards them from the opposite direction. My mind then focused on Quil’s thoughts; I groaned again as he flickered from being terrified of the events that happened thus far, to amazement at the truth of our stories, and then finally to thoughts of Bella.

“Not him too!”

“Shut it Paul!” I yelled in my head.

“I can only take so much of hearing about Bella Swan! You’re bad enough Jake, but now Quil too!”

“Stop!” Sam’s alpha voice ceased our argument instantly. “We need to help Quil. Get here now Jacob.”

I could see through their eyes the area of the woods they were gathered and knew I was getting close. With every step of my paws I was bombarded with images from Quil…

Bella and Quil on the beach…holding hands…


Bella and Quil sitting in her living room…snuggling on the couch…

Oh my God! Quil kissing Bella! And her kissing him back! I growled loudly and followed it with a heart wrenching howl.

“Focus Jacob!” I heard Sam command, breaking me away from the mental pictures that were tearing me in two. A few steps more and I halted in front of my brothers who were all standing around our newest pack member. Embry got there just after me.

By the time we arrived Sam had already managed to mostly calm an initially terrified and very confused Quil. He had also explained what was happening to him in brief detail; about how the legends were true, we turned into wolves to protect our tribe from leeches. Quil seemed to take it all in stride; he was just excited to have his two best friends back and be in on our secret. His thoughts then changed to Bella once more and I had to restrain myself from lunging at my friend.

Quil heard my thoughts at that point. “Sorry Jacob. I can’t help it.”

“Yeah, I know.” My ‘voice’ held a harsh tone despite my efforts to calm it. I knew just how hard it was to keep Bella off your mind. I had yet to succeed in doing so.

We spent the next hour trying to get Quil to change back to his human form; then the following half hour showing him how to phase to a wolf again. Sam was patient as he was with all of us. Having to go through the entire experience all alone had probably made him that way. I remember when I first phased I thought I had lost my mind! Sam was the only one able to talk me out of my nearly hysterical state. Once I’d finally calmed down my mood changed to being completely pissed because he told me I couldn’t see Bella anymore. I wasn’t even allowed to call her.

Bella. As if missing her wasn’t enough, I now had to endure Quil’s memories every time he returned to wolf form. Sam was trying to keep him focused but his mind still wandered. Their first date was tonight, and for every kiss I saw in his mind my pain became just a bit more. I didn’t think it was possible, but it did.

“Phase back Jacob. You can sit over there and assist when needed.” Sam motioned with his nose to a nearby rock. I gratefully complied; thankful to have my thoughts my own again, I let them wander.

I had seen them together a week ago outside her house. Sam told me I couldn’t talk to her so I made sure I remained in the trees behind her house, out of sight. Sometimes at night I would even sit on the grass beneath her bedroom window, leaning against the house siding. It made me somewhat content to listen to her muttering in her sleep. This time, however, I wanted to see her face; I wanted to make sure she was ok. But there they were…lying all comfortable together in the grass. She had her head resting on his back and this time I had managed to contain the possessive growl before it escaped my throat. It was me in his place only a few weeks ago. That’s the thought that hurt the most.

I almost left. It felt horrible spying on her like this, but I was selfish in that I needed to see her anyway I could. I just wanted to walk over, grab her, kiss her, and tell her I love her. Instead I watched as my two best friends shared a kiss that caused me to collapse on the ground in pain. I got to my feet, turning abruptly, and fled back to La Push. I did not want to witness anymore.

Now, one week later, here I am, having to relive every last detail through Quil’s mind. I wanted to know for myself how soft Bella’s lips are; what she tasted like, what it feels like to just kiss her. Instead, I get a second hand show with a visual play by play to go along with his every thought.

Two hours later Sam let Jared, Paul, and I go home to get sleep. He and Embry were going to stay with Quil and show him how we run patrols. My mind, however, was far away from sleep despite the fact I was exhausted. My earlier hunger had even escaped my mind.

And although I knew it was probably not in my best interest…I headed towards Forks…towards My Bella. The run was quick and soon I was coming up behind her house from the forest. I looked around at the windows; all the lights were out, including Bella’s bedroom. As I got closer I could hear Charlie’s snoring so I knew he was asleep. Bella’s breathing was slow and steady, proving that she too was in a deep sleep. I climbed up the tree beside her window, taking a seat on the outstretched branch. I had only done this on few occasions since it was too tempting to see her and not go to her.

She looked so peaceful lying in her bed. She had the covers pulled up to her chin and a smile on her face. I wondered briefly if that smile was because of her date with Quil. The window was parted slightly so she must be a little chilled. I briefly considered closing it for her but decided she would probably notice come morning.

I was sitting there for roughly ten minutes when I heard her say the one thing that could make my heart soar and give me hope.

“Jacob…” she breathed. My breath hitched as I broke out in the biggest smile ever before her next words sent reality crashing down on me. “No…Quil…don’t go.”

She was dreaming about me and Quil. It was just yet another reminder that I was no longer the leading guy in her life. I listened for awhile more as she continued to mumble out our names in succession.

“Quil…”

“Jacob…My Jacob…” That one made me smile.

Then, finally, came the three little words I had always wanted to hear her say, “…I love you…” Only problem was, I didn’t know who she was saying them too. Me? Or Quil?

No comments:

Post a Comment